1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOw to distribute the signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by buzzyng, Jun 26, 2010.

1. buzzyng

buzzyng Cool Member

Jun 18, 2010
    I will be replacing a second DVR receiver with an HR24. Currently, the DVR is centrally located with all the other equipment and receivers. That DVR outputs via coax cable and goes into a 1x5 switch that feeds several other TV in the house. I have an RF remote that I can use anywhere to control that DVR so I don't have to have a receiver in each location. Never watching that DVR from two locations at the same time so no contention issues.

I just realized the HR24 doesn't have that output option so is my only option to output the signal to a modulator and then send that signal out coax?

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    That would be the cheapest and easiest solution (a modulator that is).

Another option would be an 8 output hdmi or component video splitter then seperate of the appropriatly matchcing cables to each. this would give HD access to all the tv's connected; however at probably a great unwanted expense.

So again, yes, connect a modulator to the composite outputs of the receiver, then the coaxial output of the modulator to a splitter. If you want to add in an OTA (over the air) antenna into the mix, it will also allow independant viewing in the different rooms when not watching satellite.
    This will give you more versitility thoughout the house in the various locations.

I made a diagram of the entire system for you. I actually spec'd in a 6 output splitter/tap and a push/pull design amplifier for quality reception/signal at all locations. Should be easy enough to follow. And inexpensive to boot ;) The extra output can be used for additions in the future.

Attached Files:

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Whether the expense is worth it would be a judgment call. Monoprice has switchers and cables that could do this pretty cheaply, and the benefit would be HD/stereo to those sets rather than SD/mono. You could also have two side by side systems, one using a modulator to distribute SD and the other using a switch and new cables to distribute HD. As you replace the SD sets with HD sets you could migrate them over to the new system.

As for a modulator, you can save that expense if you have a VCR laying around; most have a modulator built right in

Great effort here, but push-pull, huh? I hate to break it to you but all consumer distribution amps are push-pull; if they weren't the second-order harmonic distortion would be off the charts. Splitters and taps are two different things designed for two different jobs. The OP needs a splitter.

It should also be mentioned that combining local signals from a modulator with a MATV system the way this drawing depicts it is probably not a good idea for a number of reasons. For one, the modulator is on CH 3 and eats 2 and 4 in the process. If you want to receive 2, 3, or 4, or if someone broadcasts on those frequencies such as a LP station or DT station, that will interfere with the signal you put on CH 3 as well as interfere with reception. Not only that, but the signal you put on CH 3 will get rebroadcast through your antenna system. If you are distributing the Playboy Channel or worse throughout the neighborhood on CH 3, don't be surprised if the FBI doesn't knock on your door wanting to put you in the old gray-bar hotel. Also, the FCC doesn't look kindly on unlicensed transmissions on CH 3 or any other channel. To prevent this you would need directional taps rather than a splitter. Probably the best thing would be to put the modulated signal on one leg of an RF A/B switch and the antenna on another, and feed the output of that into the main splitter port, which would prevent all of these problems.

4. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Actually push pull and balanced amplifiers are both available for consumer and commercial applications. Here's just a quick description and comparison of each.
    Code:
    http://www.sedi.co.jp/pdf/an014.pdf
    As far as splitters versus taps go, I know the difference and either could be used depending on the scenario thus my listing of both/either. Normally basic consumer splitters are used for most coaxial residential video distribution systems; HOWEVER there are rare occasions where there are multiple areas in some homes where coaxial cables from rooms are run to different areas and not just one panel home run location. In this case it may be beneficial to use a tap depending on the attenuation needs of the specific situation.
    Another description and comparison shown here:
    http://forum.doityourself.com/1312329-post2.html

In his specific scenario he uses DirecTV, so feedback though a cable companies line is simply not a scenario. Adding a modulator and merging it though a splitter/combiner is the most flexible thing for him to do. This way he can view the DirecTV IRD from any room on the designated channel, while still giving each room the option of independent local OTA selection. I NEVER mentioned a cheap channel 3/4 modulator. Any good yet still inexpensive modulator will allow the consumer to select a channel such as anything in the 14-64 range for OTA application usage and 65-125 for CATV applications.

In most areas there is at least 1, if not many more channels in those ranges, that won't effect actual OTA broadcasting channels from coming in. The basic rule of thumb on channel selection is to choose a channel at least 2 stations away from anything being broadcast on OTA. So lets say your OTA stations encompass all of the following your area: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 13.1, 13.2, 14, 14.1, 20, 20.1, 26, 26.1, 33, 33.1, 39, 39.1, 45, 45.1, 51.1, 55.1, 61.1, 67.1

In the example above any of the following channel sections for the modulator would be acceptable: 16, 17, 18, 22, 23, 24, 28, 29, 30, 31, 35, 36, 37, 41, 42, 43, 47, 48, 49, 53, 63, 34, 65

Although this is true, most people (myself included) don't want a VCR to have to stay on all the time in order for something else to function properly. A VCR acting in a modulator capacity poses a simple problem right off the bat. If the power goes out you loose your modulated channel at all locations until you power back on the VCR and set it back to the AUX or Line input being used. A separately purchased modulator; simply just doesn't have this issue.

5. buzzyng

buzzyng Cool Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I would rather have HD/stereo and while cost is always of concern, would rather do it right the first time.

I've heard of HDMI over Cat5 but would rather try and use existing coax if that is possible instead of trying to run new cables.

Wont be using OTA as the only way it works if I put the antenna on the roof ... but the HOA doesn't allow. We jerry rigged it for the superbowl and it was sweet (before I got HD via DTV)

THe DVR will be in the LR and the swtich that all rooms are wired to is in the wiring closet about 30-40' away

6. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    The cost of an HDMI distribution system over coax will buy many years of mirror fees.