How to get an HR24 to always show things in the right display format

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mikemyers, Apr 10, 2017.

1. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    For about a year after I got my HR24 hooked up to a (then 40") Sony TV, it sometimes got the display format correct and sometimes showed SD video in HD format, so everyone was too fat. I had to keep adjusting the display settings.

I don't know what the technician did, but when I finally reached someone who understood this, he fixed the problem. When I select a channel now, the HR24 seems to pause for a second or so, adjust something internally, so when the program eventually appears, everything is correct.

He never explained how he did this, or what he did. I'm curious if someone here can either tell me how this is done, or how I can find all the standard settings, so I can compare them with my settings. It's not important - I'm just curious, and would like to understand this.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Menu, Settings and Help, Settings, Display, Preferences. Set Guide HD Channels to Hide SD duplicates
    Same _____________________________, Video, Set Screen Format to Pillar Box and Native to ON

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Agree with this part, however make sure only HD resolutions are selected under the "TV Resolutions" catagory with these settings. Otherwise whenever a 4:3 480i SD channel is received it will be squished to a 1:1 aspect ratio with the format set on Pillar Box

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

jimmie57 likes this.
  4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And regardless of the format setting native on with only HD resolutions selected is important in another respect too.

As it keeps the GUI in 16:9 even when receiving a 4:3 SD channel. Instead of dropping to 4:3 and squishing its graphics as well.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk