1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get east or west feeds for NBC and CBS?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by akraven, May 19, 2017.

1. akraven

akraven Cool Member

Jul 16, 2008
    so as of now I haven't been able to watch either channel because of contract disputes since February. Is there a certain package that would allow me to get these channels from the east or west coast feeds? Thank you.

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Only two legit ways I know of, have an rv account, or be in an area that has no locals.

boukengreen likes this.
  3. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    Easiest way is to get an antenna and get the channels OTA if you can

There are somethings arrows can't kill,
    For everything else there's Master Sword

DishCSR likes this.
  4. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    The being in an area without locals part most likely won't work since the waiver request goes to the local network that you're not getting and they'll more than likely deny the waiver request for the distant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Define "area without locals" as a market without a specific network affiliate and one can get that specific network in that market. The definition of "white areas" was changed a few years back.
    Define "area without locals" as a market with locals that are not carried by DIRECTV and one would need waivers from each in market network affiliate to receive the distant of their network.

In either case, one still cannot get east coast distants on the west coast (unless one still has them from before the rules changed).

boukengreen likes this.
  6. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I'm talking about the very few dmas that don't have locals through Directv.

7. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    I know

8. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    So you are saying if you live in one of the few dmas that don't have Directv provided locals that the stations that broadcast in that area can deny a Directv customer getting east or west coast locals?

9. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    That is correct. The local broadcasters have exclusive rights for the content in their area. Just because your provider doesnt carry the channels does not give the right to insert other channels in the place of the locals

10. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Yes they can

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The stations own the rights to the programs whether or not they are carried on DIRECTV.

If the stations did not own the rights what would stop DIRECTV from refusing to carry a market and carrying only distants instead?

12. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I always thought that distant locals were automatic if you didn't have Directv provided locals. Thanks for the clarification.

13. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Their agreement with the FCC?

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is no agreement on this issue. There is Federal law protecting the local stations. Without permission of the local station viewers can no longer get a distant for the network that station carries.

(The rules have changed over the years so there are some customers receiving distants under old rules. But the local stations have been protected by law, not an agreement.)

There was an agreement with the FCC over carrying HD feeds. Carry one carry all was phased in allowing satellite carriers to not offer all HD feeds in a market giving the satellite companies time to launch new spectrum.

15. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Many moons ago, I changed my billing address to an nearby address that, for some reason, wasn't recognized by the Distant Network Service availability page buried on the Directv site. In turn, I was able to receive DNS ABC in HD, while it was still only available in SD in my market. But that recognition system appears to be improved and less opportune to use in 2017.

Directv says 99% of local markets are covered. What markets are still lingering out there without local agreements?

16. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Back during the conversion to HD, there was a blanket waiver for all markets in which the various networks owned a station in that market, if the station had not yet been converted to HD (actually digital). But, once all stations got converted, that waiver went away. But, if a network didn't actually own a station in a given market, those network waivers didn't apply.

17. Visman

Visman Legend

Feb 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I live in the Houston local market but I get NBC DNS east and wast station plus the local NBC station, in Houston. The only reason that I get them is that I have been grandfathered in since I have had them since 94.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A few years ago they changed the law. Before the change one was required to get a waiver from every affiliate that had OTA coverage of the location. White areas were defined by OTA coverage and if your location was outside of the OTA coverage of all affiliates you could get a distant. After the change local stations were defined as covering their entire DMA (so no more white area within a DMA with an affiliate) but on the plus side stations outside of the DMA did not count. So if you were in a DMA with no affiliate you could get a distant even if within the OTA coverage of an affiliate in a neighboring DMA. and waivers only had to come from one station (per network) not all with OTA coverage.

Overall, expanding the definition of covered to being the entire market reduced the white areas. And that is probably what you see comparing who qualifies for distants today vs who qualified "many moons ago".

B. Shoe likes this.
  19. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There are about a dozen local markets ('DMAs') out of a little over 200 that are not covered by Directv. All are small, with under 100,000 people so they don't have 99% of local markets covered by count, but if you measure by population it is probably more like 99.9%. The smallest is one in I think Montana, with a little over 4,000 people living in it. Probably not too cost effective to cover them, in the hope of maybe winning a few hundred subscribers at best!

B. Shoe and sunfire9us like this.
  20. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    Here is the Excel that will give you all the accurate detail you need to know. There are still 12 DMAs out there with no Directv service. There is lots of great information on this one page .....

242424 and B. Shoe like this.