how to install Hopper 3

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by nmstough, Apr 16, 2016.

1. nmstough

nmstough Cool Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I am ordering a new Hopper 3 sent by Dish. However I think that I need 3 cables from the dish to the house. Is that right? This would be a problem because I have only two. And is there anything else required other than swap the receiver to get this up and running?

I cannot find out any "how to" on such an install anywhere. Thanks.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH typically installs the receiver, along with a new Hybrid LNB for the Hopper 3.

There is a new node that connects between the LNB and the Hopper 3, which will split off the MoCA signals for Joeys. We have threads with wiring diagrams here ... but DISH usually performs the installs.

3. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    You need a hybrid LNB and it's one wire from the dish to the hub. It is not just a swap. In fact depending on your location and service it might be more complicated. Like James Long says you might be better off having Dish do the install.

4. nmstough

nmstough Cool Member

Sep 27, 2005
    They said that for a costless swap they would simply send me the receiver and I would do it. Do you think that they are going to send me the additional equipment as well? It all seemed so simple. I am in Arizona if that means anything.

5. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Why don't you PM one of the DIRT team. They can look at your account and help you with the right equipment.

1 person likes this.
  6. nmstough

nmstough Cool Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Im clueless. What is DIRT? And what is PM?

7. SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    PM is after AM

1 person likes this.
  8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    PM is personal message. And DIRT is the dish people who actually visit this site. It's like an online chat with dish.

9. SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    You only need 1 wire from the dish to the hybrid tap.