1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to install W7RC

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by BubblePuppy, May 22, 2009.

1. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I have W7beta on drive d (dual boot). I want to install W7RC, what do I have to do? I read about a clean install, not really sure what that is.
    When the W7 is finally released, will it be an upgrade to Vista?
    Any help will be appreciated.

2. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I think all you need to do is insert your Win 7 RC1 disk in your drive, restart computer and during bootup use the otion to go into the boot menu. Typically F8. Chose to boot from DVD drive and it will start the install. It will let you chose which partion to intall to.

3. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Disc? Do you have to have disc or just download W7rc to the computer?

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You need to burn the downloaded ISO image to a DVD-R.

5. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Thanks, now that you mention it I remember having to do that for the beta version. Backing up my computer now, however do I need to back up both drives or just the drive (d) that I'm going to install W7rc on?

6. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    With all due respect, if you're needng help with that type of stuff, you might be better off waiting for the retail version.

BTW - I live in Beaverton from '84 thru '93. Loved it!

7. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Really just the one you're installing on but safe practices dictate to keep a backup of everything if it is important to you because HDD failures occur at wierd times.

8. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    you do not need a dvd drive to install windows 7. I have windows 7 rc avaible for install via windows deployment services.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    So dorfd1, you're a system administrator?

10. solmakou

solmakou Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    You can indeed install windows 7 without dvd media, it's a lot easier to do so with the disc, but you can fool with the boot record and create a partition for the windows 7 information and fool with the boot files/mbr. I recommend using the disc though and you would need to backup the files on the drive you are installing win7 onto.

Having a disc will also prevent you from any corrupted/bugged win7 install causing too many headaches, I had to reinstall after upgrading to 7057 and not having the disc caused me to have to redownload the dvd iso to my laptop and reburn.

11. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    I thought that way, but then I thought "If I don't try something new, how am I going to learn anything beyond what I know now".
    Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll expand my knowledge.:)

12. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    I assume that I will have to uninstall W7beta?

13. sideswipe

sideswipe Legend

Dec 4, 2008
    you dont so much uninstall, you either format or delete the partion when you get to the screen on the install disk where it asks you where to install @

14. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    All I did on my dual boot was to boot back into vista, delete win 7 directory, then reboot with win7 cd inserted..

15. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Windows7rc up is up and running
    Now for the tedious task of reinstalling my software and restoring with the back up.

Thanks everyone for the advice

16. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Now that I have installed W7rc in my f drive I noticed I have only 3.2G left. Anyway I can expand that drive?

17. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    only if there is free space after it in drive manager... it won't let you add to the beginning..

18. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    No, there isn't. So what I want to do is uninstall W7 from the f drive, see if there is a way to recover the space back to the c drive. I'm downloading W7RC 64, I'm going to install it on my bigger laptop as the main operating system. I only have about four programs and some files, all of which are on this laptop so I won't have to do any backup.

19. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    you'll have to delete the partition, shrink the partition in front of it, then recreate the second partition and reinstall win7..

Don't think you'll have to uninstall as it will get wiped when you delete the partition anyways..

20. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    I may not have beed clear. I don't want to reinstall W7rc on this laptop, I just installed w7rc64bit on my other laptop as it's only os.
    I want to delete drive F and have drive C recover the space used by drive F.