How to keep whole home Ethernet with receiver upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by olc, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Nov 6, 2015 #1 of 10
    olc

olc New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Here's what I have now, two DVRs connected using DECA boxes. At each location, I have piggybacked a network switch onto the system by running the DECA Ethernet cable to the switch and then running a cable back to the receiver. This gives me wired Ethernet to each location to use with TV, Bluray, Sonos, etc. DirectV keeps wanting to upgrade me to a Genie, but I am afraid I'd lose the ability to do this. Is there some way to put in a Genie and keep my setup using the switches?

1) Can I just use the DECA with the Genie, running the DECA coax into the Genie and tapping the Ethernet port on the DECA for my switch? Does the DECA actually block the Ethernet signal passing through, so the Genie wouldn't get that data? If the DECA passes the whole signal from the SWM and also sends the Ethernet component to its port, this should work.

2)The Genie gets the Ethenet signal on the coax, with a built-in DECA to split it out internally. Can I connect a network switch to the Ethernet port on the back of the Genie and do as I am now for other Ethernet connected devices? Or is it an input only port, though I don't know if there is such a thing?

3) I'd love to have any other solutions others have used. I would hate to lose my "whole home ethernet".

Any help appreciated.

2. Nov 6, 2015 #2 of 10
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    You will not get a tech to help at all with this. If you want to keep you are on your own to do it.

3. Nov 6, 2015 #3 of 10
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Order the upgrade, let the tech install as per "specs". Once he leaves, jury-rig it as you have now. But you are on your own as you have been.

4. Nov 7, 2015 #4 of 10
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I don't know whether the DECA blocks the signal from going to the receiver, but if it does you could use a splitter to feed both the receiver and the DECA (this would require getting a power inserter for the DECA).

5. Nov 7, 2015 #5 of 10
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    it does blocks MRV traffic

6. Nov 8, 2015 #6 of 10
    olc

olc New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Likely he'll want to take the DECA. And if I can keep it (they don't use them anymore) I was hoping someone here had tried it. I will pass on the Genie rather than lose the Ethernet.

7. Nov 8, 2015 #7 of 10
    olc

olc New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    I understand basically how Whole Home works, at least in my house, but could you clarify your answer? Isn't MRV control/distribution the main reason the DECA is there? I don't get why the DECA would block it. Thanks.

8. Nov 8, 2015 #8 of 10
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Perhaps you can convince the tech (throw him a Jackson, just in case) to leave the DECA.

9. Nov 8, 2015 #9 of 10
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It blocks MRV towards the receiver via the F connector. The only reason the DECA connects to a receiver is for power. The "miracle" happens on its ethernet port & and the port coming (and going) towards the SWM splitter.

10. olc

olc New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Thank you so much. Now it's making sense. The Ethernet portion of the signal comes over coax and then the "miracle" stuff gets split off either in a external dECA or an internal one.

I did, just a liitle while ago, get through to someone at DirecTV advanced tech support and was told (and I hope it's true) that I can keep the DECA and use it with the Genie or any DVR. He said that that's exactly what they do when there isn't a good enough WIFI connection and it's not feasible to run Ethernet from the router. thanksaai gn for clearing up my misconceptions.