1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to question(internet hook up)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cyfman, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Oct 2, 2010 #1 of 12
    cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    I know this has been covered,but couldn't really find what I was looking for.:(

I'm not real teck savy. I'm wanting to get my HD/DVR hooked to the internet finally. I have DSL at my house the modem just has 1 port and that is plugged into my computer.

the DVR is in another room and still not sure what eq. i would need. I could probably run a cat 5 cable,but not really wanting to get in the attic.

I know they make wireless routers but don't know what I would need to put into the DVR so they can talk to each other.

Also cost is a factor,so if some of you folks that understand all this could recommend some eq. or links to what I would need,I would be truly grateful:)

I'm not afraid of using refurbished eq.

2. Oct 2, 2010 #2 of 12
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You need to get a Router. Modem get plug into router and the router feeds you home - either by wire or wireless.

3. Oct 2, 2010 #3 of 12
    cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    Ok,if i go wireless doesn't something need to go into the back of the receiver?

4. Oct 2, 2010 #4 of 12
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes. An ethernet-based Wireless Adapter, such as the Linksys WGA600N or WET610N. But ethernet cables are much preferred if at all possible.

5. Oct 2, 2010 #5 of 12
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I'll agree with the ethernet connection between the DVR and the router. I've had my FiOS Internet router hard-wired to my DVR for a couple years now and three computers connected wirelessly to the router. Works just fine.

Bill

6. Oct 2, 2010 #6 of 12
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I tried wireless for my second floor and connecting was a problem for me.

7. Oct 2, 2010 #7 of 12
    goldwing

goldwing AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    SW OHIO
    Wireless will work fine if you do it right. I have found that you should never ever use wireless adaptors if you want dependability and good b/w. Your much better off using a wireless bridge. When i upgraded from B to N a few years ago i took my old B linksys and flashed it into a bridge using tomato f/w. I also took a old Netgear wireless print server and turned it into a bridge. I bet i tested 4-5 different wireless adaptors and they all sucked balls compared to what i use now. Range, b/w and stability are 4x better. I can stream bluray 1080p video/HD audio perfectly. My modem/router are as far from my main tv as it can get too as in other side of house plus 3 floors apart. Another plus is i can network more then 1 device so cost is cheaper. One $30 router let me network my hr20-700/xbox360/HTPC/Denon 4803 compared to buying 4 wireless adaptors. You can do the math :)

Just my 2 cents worth:lol:

8. Oct 2, 2010 #8 of 12
    cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    Thanks for the help guys:)

9. Oct 2, 2010 #9 of 12
    Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    While I understand what you just wrote, I am guessing you missed what the OP said originally.

10. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Uh, Yea Right.

11. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    I own a three story townhouse, with my home office on the bottom floor and my entertainment setup on the third floor. because wireless communication between rooms was iffy, I bought a device from Belkin that sends the DSL signal through my home's wiring. Its worked flawlessly.

You can easily get a similar device from Belkin or another MF at any Best Buy.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You got a PowerLine Adapter. While you had success with it, it really depends on how your electrical is wired in your house if you will get good use out of them. In my case, I couldn't get any speed better than 11Mbps unless I used an outlet in the same room as my router.

- Merg