1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to re-format my eternal eSata Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by frobozz, Oct 16, 2011.

1. frobozz

frobozz Cool Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I've got an external eSATA drive on my (owned, thanks to Rich) HR20-700. In the last month playback has become more and more flawed with Skips, Stutters and freezes. This despite weather or channel. Thus I conclude she needs re-formatted or whatever it takes.

Problem is I have never had to do this and don't' know the process. Meanwhile we watch and record to the other box. And DTV knows of both btw.

So what are the steps to take please ?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You can no longer force a format/reformat of the drives.
    What used to do this was rebooting and holding down the record and down arrow buttons [both] until you see the record light come on, then release.
    This now cause the receiver to do a disk scan, which may work for what you want. It does take hours to complete.
    The only other way [I know of] would be to connect the eSATA to a PC and use either the manufacture's software or the PC software to wipe the drive, and then connect it to the DVR for it to then format it.

3. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    If you have a second dvr, it will reformat it to make it unique to that one. Then move it back and it will reformat it again. Or is my thought process off here?

4. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Even a quick format should do the trick. But you may need to build a partition first.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "off", as the DVR needs to see a blank drive to trigger a formatting.

6. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    ok, so I had a stack of dvrs and plugged the wrong external drive into the wrong dvr, there would be no risk of it writing over it? That is good to know.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "And" you'd get to see your old recordings, but not be able to play any of them.

8. frobozz

frobozz Cool Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Working on tht. It's a Seagate Barracuda 1.5gb .. however, when connected to the Win-7 box, it doesn't show up in "Explore". It is there in Disk Management with what looks like for Volumes. However they are not readable.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    They are xfs partitions...If you can see the drive in disk management, you *should* be able to delete the partitions....if not, boot up using the gparted disk that you can read about in the removing/replacing etc.. drive thread in tips and resources section.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You can also use Seagate's "Seatools" from their website.

11. frobozz

frobozz Cool Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I download that first. All I can see to so with it is run a "Test" .. which I did. It passed their test.

I do not see a way to format/delete/partition

12. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I just went through this with XP. I don't know if 7 is the same, but in the disk management window, down below you should see boxes that represent your drives and one will not be assigned a drive letter. Highlight it and right click or use tools to add a partition and assign it a letter.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
  14. frobozz

frobozz Cool Member

Nov 28, 2008

Attached Files:

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That is what you should see and you want to continue.
    Windows is just letting you know you're about to delete all the data in the partition.
    You want to do that to all three of them.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    As usual - first step must be a check a health [SMART] of questioned drive, then run Scan with Remap=ON, then get SMART again and post both here to compare and some conclusion.

Formatting will not fix many serious problems with a HDD.

Use MHDD (self-bootable CD/USB flash drive) of Victoria under Windows.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The OP can use the seatools to check the health of the drive. That's why Seagate offers it.

18. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Not sure if this applies to all HRs, but I did a "Reset Everything" on my HR34 about 10 days ago, and it did a "quick format" of my drive as part of the process. I say "quick", because the "formatting" message was on-screen for less than a minute for a 1TB drive, IIRC.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "I think":
    1) the message is leftover from when you could re-format the drive
    2) it goes so quick, that it may only dump the file table.
    3) the replacement for the formatting [using the old steps], is a disk scan that takes about 2/3rds longer to run that the long tests in the self test/boot menu, which does look like it moves, writes, and checks, each cluster from the display.

20. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    It's the first time I've ever seen that message on a "reset everything", and seems to take about just as much time as the old front panel format used to take. So if I had to guess, I'd say that's what replaced it.