1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to record first run only

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Jul 27, 2010.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I have a guilty pleasure--watching Chelsea Lately on E!. However, when I set the series manager to record only first-run episodes, it records all episodes. I notice that when I bring up the "info" page, there is no "first aired on..." date, which is peculiar. Am I stuck recording all episodes?

2. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    It may not work in this case, but check out this method for recording first runs of the Daily Show on Comedy Central, which has similarly scant GUIDE data, but does update the listings at some point prior to airing. That same method also works for Colbert on Comedy Central.

I'd suggest trying lately NNOT pop and select Show Type, First Run from the "next" screen. This search should eliminate all shows with the generic description "Chelsea Handler comments on pop culture." May not work, but worth a shot.

3. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Thanks, Steve, I'll give this a try. Also, thanks for pointing me to the advanced search thread. I haven't really explored the search capabilities, so this is going to be an interesting read!

4. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I notice the same thing when recording The Soup on E!. I have it set to First Run Only but all the ep's record.

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm on a CE right now and not running the current NR and the search is not working as expected for me. :( Advanced searching is really not a supported feature, and it has been a bit unpredictable since they introduced Smart Search.

If I try lately NNOT pop and Show Type, First Run, I get no results.

If I search for lately NNOT pop and All, I get all shows without the generic description, so I would give this a try. Since the guest star names are unique, you may not get "first runs" only, but you should only get unique episodes.

6. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I noticed an anomaly. If you search LATELY, ALL, you get the Chelsea Lately listings, and the description contains unique guest star names.

If you search HANDLER, ALL, you get the same listing of shows, but the description on all the shows is "Chelsea Handler comments on pop culture".

If you try HANDLER CCHAN 236 NNOT POP, you get no listings.

I haven't been able to figure out a way to accomplish what I want because of what I think is a pecularity with the way the program is listed.

7. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Very rarely is the guide data for Chelsea Lately complete and rarer still can you tell what nights are new..

Here are the next few:

Mo 7/26: Frank Grillo, Greg Proops, Loni Love, Josh Wolf
    Tu 7/27: Kathy Griffin, Michael Yo, Whitney Cummings, Jo Koy
    We 7/28: Chicken Charlie, Chris Hardwick, Heather McDonald, Rove McManus
    Th 7/29: Ron Livingston, Ross Mathews, Sarah Colonna, Guy Branum
    Fr 7/30: Arsenio Hall, Chris Franjola, Christina Pazsitzky, Ross Mathews (R 7/22/10) rerun

8. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I have found the easiest and most reliable method for stayin up to date on late night scheduling is to go to this web page and subscribe to the RSS feeds for each show...

http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html

9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Might want to double-check that. That search also returns shows that contain the generic description "Chelsea Handler comments on pop culture" when I try it, as it should. That's why I suggested searching for lately NNOT pop.

You should only get the generic shows, because the keyword handler only exists in shows with that description.

When you search for handler NNOT pop, you're asking for all shows that have handler in the description, but not pop. Since those two keywords always appear together ("Chelsea Handler comments on pop culture"), that condition is never met, so you shouldn't get any matches.

Bottom line is lately NNOT pop won't guarantee you'll only get "first runs", but it should guarantee you won't record the same guest star's show twice in 28 days.

10. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Setting up a recurring manual recording for a certain time slot is another workaround.