How to Record OnDemand Network Shows?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by reubenray, Jan 19, 2019.

1. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I missed a few network shows during the transformation from Directv to Dish. I am seeing the shows as being OnDemand, but I cannot find out how to record them. The only option is to watch them. I am seeing these shows when I finish watching a new network show and I am stopping it to delete it. There is a list below the steps for doing this.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    The whole concept of "On Demand" is that you get to watch the programs when you want to rather than on a fixed schedule like live programming. Think of it like a DVR in the cloud that you don't have to program. You do need a good Internet connection though.

3. cpdretired

cpdretired AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 25, 2003
    Once internet connected you will find your On Demand downloads in Dish rentals. Just select the DVR button on the remote.

4. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    True, once you select an on demand program and then choose "Watch Later"...

5. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    What does it mean "rented on demand"? The show I am trying to record is the "Rookie" on ABC. Surely I don't have to pay for this?

Also why is CBS not listed?

6. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    If you find a show in an on demand list just download it. It's free if no charge is specified and it's called "rental" even if free. Select watch later when it starts to download if you want to watch it later. No matter whether you watch now or later, it will be stored in your DVR menu under the rental icon until the specified number of days, or if you delete it.

If CBS is not listed, on demand is probably not part of their contract with Dish. You should then make sure you have timers set to record episodes.

7. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    The "rental" thing for free on demand shows is like "buying" free books from Amazon, except you don't get a $0.00 receipt.

8. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Got it - thanks everyone.

NYDutch likes this.
  9. cpdretired

cpdretired AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 25, 2003
  10. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    IIRC, On Demand is already recorded to a special part of the hard drive and remains there for the specified period but cannot be transferred to an EHD or anywhere else.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Some content is pre-downloaded (mostly the movies on channel 500) - that content comes via satellite. The other OnDemand content is downloaded via the Internet upon request.