How to record upcoming free premium channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wrj, Jul 11, 2016.

1. wrj

wrj Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    DTV is offering HBO/MAX free for this coming weekend. But I noticed things have changed. I use to be able to set to record a non-subscribed show (in the future) and of course, I got a warning that I don't have these channels but it would record anyway. But now, it shows me "Subscribe Now". I don't know how to set the DVR to record. I assume once the free period is in effect I will be able to record but that means I can't set the DVR until hours into the free period. If there was a movie I wanted to record only showed once during the free period at 2:00am on day one, I guess I'm out of luck.

Am I not understanding something? Is there a solution?

2. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    I thought I had read that the recordings had changed also. If you record something during the free preview, you have to watch it during the free preview. After the free preview is over, you can no longer watch those recordings.

I may be mistaken though.

I hate free previews, they make it so I can't watch movies during this period without all the stupid free preview adverts showing on the screen.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    no, you are not missing anything. With the latest update you can't record in advanced. Once the free preview kicks in you can record to your heart's contents and you will be able to watch those shows even after the preview is over. VOD can only be watch during the free preview period

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

4. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I believe you're thinking about on-demand programs downloaded during the freeview that would not be viewable when the freeview was over.

Linear programs (i.e. ones recorded "live" as they were being shown) could be viewed later. But with the other changes being made this time around, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if they still will be viewable when the freeview has ended.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I would not be surprised to see this changed ... perhaps give people 24 hours to finish a recorded program once viewing has begun or a set number of days after the preview until the recordings expire. The intent of the preview is to get people to subscribe ... not to get them to load up on programs.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I doubt it. That would hurt those who do subscribe. It'd be very hard and. Or worth the trouble to code for that.

The change was made in general not to deal with free previews. And I believe it's been this way for a while now.

7. Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z Godfather

Jul 30, 2007
    Just for completeness I tried setting up a recording in advance on HBO (I don't subscribe) via the D* website. It didn't work either.

@inkahauts - What did you mean by "The change was made in general not to deal with free previews." Is your point that this change was made to prevent recording, intentionally or accidentally, from channels to which we don't subscribe? I guess that this could perhaps have been done to prevent people from trying to record from non-subscribed channels and becoming frustrated by not obtaining their recording. It seems like that would be a very minor occurrence compared to the number of pre-set freeview recordings. While the change may apply more broadly I do think that the logical target is those recording from the freeviews.

Regardless, given this change I wish that D* would also cease auto-recording (empty shows) from channels that I don't receive. They should at least be consistent.

- Kevin

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think they did it to help sell a channel when people try to record something on it and they don't get the channel.

For example:

someone does a search and lands on a program that they want to record.

The program is airing on a channel they don't get.

They try to record it. They get that new screen encouraging them to upgrade their package to get that channel.

The old way they just got a not authorized screen. The new one is much more buy this channel!

I think it has everything to do with trying to upsell people on channels they don't get.

I don't think free views even crossed their mind when making the change. And if it did then it'd be how to better encourage people to add the channel after a free view event. Not before.

I also think that it could've been part of a larger push to fix the channels I get issue so that when you have an auto record set up it doesn't record programs on channels you don't get it.

9. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    But to fix some stuff with channels I get will be hard with stuff like NFT ST that has PPV day passes.

As for the other sports packs they are mostly RSN remaps and RSN's are hard to get right.

10. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Actually, HBO has made it real easy this time. Just look at what they are offering during the "free preview". There is really nothing there worth recording or watching. One can only wonder why they go through the exercise of the "free preview".

I did, however, see one movie I will probably record, I guess I just wait until Friday morning.

11. telero

telero New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Pacific...
    FYI, setting manual recordings for a time during the freeview before the freeview starts does work. I was able to create two manual recording yesterday evening for things during the freeview and was just able to watch them this evening.

12. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    "Jem and the Holograms"? :rolling:

13. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    Is HBO on-demand not included in the free preview? I get a non-subscribed message, but I can view all the HBO channels. I did a hard reset and still no access to VOD.

14. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    U-verse has ON-demand on

15. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    That feature hasn't been available for a long time.