How video games are going to change retirement forever

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by Mark Holtz, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Business Insider:

How video games are going to change retirement forever
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

1 person likes this.
  2. Khaetra

Khaetra Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Florida
    True. I'll be 50 this year and play on both PS4 and Xbox One. I also play WoW.

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    The writer's recollections or reconstructed recollections are off by nearly a decade. While Pong was introduced in 1971 and was the arcade hit of the summer of '72, it wasn't addictive, and nearly all of the coin-operated videogames of that decade were flops. I bought two Pongs in 1972, for $1,200 each and lost money on them, and lost money on every other non-driving video game I bought until Space Invaders came out at the end of the decade, which ushered in a three year arcade boom. What Space Invader had going for it, besides the "Dum-dum-dum-dum, Dum-dum-dum-dum", was "ramping" of difficulty, where it got progressively more difficult, but in increments where, as one's skill developed, his games would last a little longer and his scores got a little higher. After Space Invader came Galaxian and Asteroids, and then Defender and PacMan. As it was written in Newsweek, you're either a Defender player or a PacMan player. Fortunately for Midway, there were a lot more PacMan players.

In 1983, there were bankruptcy liquidation auctions seemingly monthly, where anyone could buy a $3,000 list price arcade game for a couple of hundred dollars, because few people at those auctions were willing to pay more. But the coin-operated games manufacturers kept making more and more video games, in part because their marginal manufacturing cost was so low, and while the graphics became more and more detailed and complex, most of us "old timers" just weren't willing to learn the new attack and advance patterns needed to succeed at them, so we kept playing the same old games, which is why there are still so many Ms. Pac Man and Arkanoids around.

4. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Tell the writer that Pac Man came out in 1980 in Japan so those arcades were NOT in the 1970s.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The last video console I purchased was ColecoVision. I remember the company went belly-up during the developement of the Dracula game.

I still have that console.