How will DirecTV handle the SWM requirement?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by RAD, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Aug 7, 2009 #1 of 11
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Does the group see the requirement for having a SWM in order to use DECA as being a problem? I bring it up since folks are always posting threads about how to get one on a new install or movers connection. With DECA requiring SWM will DirecTV be more upfront/open on how to get one, either via the 5 tuner+HD rule or the $135 upgrade fee? What about existing subs, are they going to add an option under the equipment section on the web site to order a SWMLNB upgrade?

I can see this turning into a bit of a can or worms, how do we think DirecTV could/should handle it?

2. Aug 7, 2009 #2 of 11
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Just a guess"
    These aren't going to be DIY installs. Tech comes out, changes LNB to SWMLNB, reconfigures coax, and adds the DECAs, "for ??? $$".

3. Aug 7, 2009 #3 of 11
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Guess that's one way to go with it, but then you'll tick off all the folks that have all the necessary prereq's and don't want to pay for a tech visit.

My take is:

- For new customers they need to be presented this as an option at order time. If they meet the SWMLNB tuner count+HD requirement then just add the number of DECA's to the order and their cost.

- For movers who need it at the new location they need to know it's $135 for the SWMLNB upcharge + the DECA costs.

- For existing customers that want DECA but don't have a SWMLNB they need an option to relpace/upgrade the dish/LNB to a SWMLNB and replace any necessary STB's that aren't SWM compatable. Hopefully DirecTV will offer discounts for any STB replacements such as R15's or H20's.

They may already have the battle plan laid out, just we don't know it. My take is that they need to have their ducks lined up so once the word of this hits the street they will be able to answer customers questions on how to get DECA networks installed.

4. Aug 7, 2009 #4 of 11
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    This will be the flood that comes when the First Look is posted.

I think Big Daddy has something planned! They know they can't put this out and then not have a plan on how to order/install/supply the product.

5. Aug 7, 2009 #5 of 11
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    VOS - I think its a very solid "guess". :D

Since the free-standing SWM8 units are still mostly destined for MDU locations, and the SWM LNB is really the SWM delivery of choice by DirecTV - what you are saying makes perfect sense.

RAD - your question is also very well taken, as there is clearly a growing flurry of interest in SWM technology as a whole (and rightfully so), so this kind of question is sure to come up more than once.

At this rate, we'll have all the answers...:lol::lol:

6. Aug 7, 2009 #6 of 11
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    To some degree, this is going to be a "can of worms".
    All of the DIY SWM installs aren't listed on the DirecTV accounts. I was surprised, last year, when the engineering team came out and told me I'd had my SWM installed a month or so before. I hadn't [of course], but in talking with the office of the president, they had changed my account to reflect what I had.
    Perhaps if your account shows you have a SWM, then they can ship the DECAs you want, for a self install.
    If your account doesn't then "the system" will require a tech install.

7. Aug 7, 2009 #7 of 11
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I totally agree.

The questions that come from the SWM and DECA DIY installs (heck...look at just our team :lol::lol:) will likely lead to some pretty big threads on the topic.

In addition...it will be interesting to see what plans (if any) DirecTV has to potentially "merge" some or all of SWM and DECA together in the future. That might reduce some of the confusion later on.

8. Aug 7, 2009 #8 of 11
    dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    You must have forgotten about when the SWM was announced:lol:

9. Aug 7, 2009 #9 of 11
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    The man has a point. :D

Oh yeah...I remember. :eek2:

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Solid Signal and another "how to video" ???

It just seems to me DirecTv is losing a lot of money letting all these third party companies sell their current high tech gizmo's, and refusing to sell them to their customers. I friend of mine is building a new house, prewired, and DirecTv refused to schedule a SWMline install for him on the movers connection, stating they had no control over what would be on the truck when the installer arrived.

Plus, considering DirecTv makes money of DOD downloads, the lack of networked equipment is costing them lost revenue as well.

Since the house is prewired, the two options for DirecTv are: Install SWMline dish, run one cable to the media closet, plug customers dvr's in each room, boot up and leave. Option two, Install a standard slimline, a multiswitch, run two coax runs from the multiswitch to 4 rooms, two downstairs, and two upstairs, and install BBCs, and receivers. Now which one is gonna take 30 minutes tops, and which one is going to take 4 hours? It just doesnt make sense to me. Hopefully, when DECA rolls out, along with MRV in a fall/winter, DirecTv will have an option for existing customers/movers connection to participate. Otherwise, people will just buy the stuff online, and do it themselves, and DirecTv wont make squat. Good for Solid Signal, not so good for DirecTv.

11. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    I am pretty sure that D* is the one selling to Solid signal or a distributor is, which gets the product from D*. Either way, since it is branded by D*, they are getting a cut somewhere in the mix not only on the equipment but on the service the end user has signed up for.