1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How will they get this setup to work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Accordlayingkit, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit AllStar

Feb 28, 2011
    Earlier this year directv came out and installed my 4th hd dvr. I currently have now 4 hd dvr's and 2 standard hd boxes. For them to add the 4th box they ran 4 new wires from my dish (that I later had to pull up and bury over again in conduit the whole way across the yard because they didn't bury very far and my son was digging it up!) that ran to a 8 way or some sort of swm expander as I already had a swm setup. They told me then that would be the last box I would be able to install because of all the tuners combined with the dvr's blah blah blah. I've been wanting to watch and use my iPad with the directv app, so today I looked at my account and it said I was eligible for a free hd dvr box, so I called and was like can I get the cinema kit instead since I didn't think I cold have another receiver?

My wireless router is n my office on my desk right beside a hd receiver, well they told me I could upgrade that receiver to the hd dvr and have the cinema kit for free and $50 labor. So, that's perfect because to have cinema kit u have to have dvr so they'll be beside each other now. I wasent really concerned with the whole home as I have boxes in every room and almost all dvr's now, but will I be able to use the iPad as a remote with every box or jus the one in my office connected to my router? Or would I need whole home also to work everything, and would a phone line have to be plugged up to every receiver?

And last but not least how are they gonna get this to work if they told me before I was maxed out? Told the girl on the phone to please make sure they send someone to know what there doing cause back n march when I did the new 4 lines and expander 8 way the guy had no clue and never had done it before and supervisor had to come finish the job! She says dnt worry our computers are smart and pull up what equipment u have now and how u have it wired and will let installer know what to have with him for the job

Thanks for yalls advice in advance!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Might help if you took a photo of what they installed, "because" you're already over a SWiM LNB/SWM8 since you have "4 hd dvr's and 2 standard hd boxes", which adds up to 10 tuners.
    These either don't all work, "or" you've got room for 6 more tuners.
    To use your iPad, all the DVRs need to be networked. Simply added a CCK to one receiver isn't going to do it.
    While you may not need/want Whole Home DVR service [MRV], you'll need the connected home networking, or do it all through ethernet.

3. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit AllStar

Feb 28, 2011
    So how would u suggest I do it IF I want to be able to use my I my iPad with any of the dvr's and what all wold that require added to the cck I'm getting installed Monday ? Can I upload a image on here or can u PM me your email so I can try and send u a pic of what I got?

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You've got enough posts to attach a photo here. Look at the top for the paperclip.
    What model receivers/DVRs do you have?

5. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit AllStar

Feb 28, 2011
    What I have

Hd dvr - HR24-500 Sons Room
    Hd dvr - HR23-700 Den
    Hd dvr - HR22-100 Guest Room
    Hd dvr - HR22-100 Master
    Hd - H21-200 Office
    Hd - H23-600 Garage

trying to uplosd pic...jus keeps saying please wait...uploading even when i try jus 1 pic

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So you've got room for another 6 tuners because they installed a SWiM-16.

These
    Hd dvr - HR23-700 Den
    Hd dvr - HR22-100 Guest Room
    Hd dvr - HR22-100 Master
    Hd - H21-200 Office
    Hd - H23-600 Garage

All would need one of these [each]:
    [​IMG]

Then they're networked and the CCK would connect these all [and your HR24] to your home network.

Attached Files:

7. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit AllStar

Feb 28, 2011
    ok so what should i call them and ask for....whole home or jus a deca for each receiver?

8. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit AllStar

Feb 28, 2011
    sorry i gotcha...so i need 5, ill call and tell em thanks alot! theyll be replacing the office h21-200 with a hd dvr also so you think that will have deca inside already? hard to tell till they bring it maybe

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You want to add "the Connected Home" networking.
    You might seriously look into the $3/month for the whole home DVR service too.
    You can watch recordings in the office or garage, along with any other DVR from another DVR.

You may not think you need it, "but" once I got it, it was a true game changer.

10. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit AllStar

Feb 28, 2011
    Haha gotcha I'll prolly add it....that requires no more parts correct? Jus them adding it? And do u think the new dvr replacing office receiver will have a DECA inside like the 24 or hard to say?

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The connected home networking is all the hardware needed, so you're looking for the hardware yet hadn't looked for the benefits of it.
    The major change is that everything works together, so it isn't "a DVR here" and another there, but each TV/receiver has access to everything.
    "Hell" you might not really need another DVR, since the only thing a receiver can't do is pause live TV, "but" if you want to pause a show, I simple press record, select which DVR to record it, and then start watching the recording, which I can pause.
    If they bring a 24, then you don't need another white DECA, but if not, then...

12. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit AllStar

Feb 28, 2011
    gotcha thanks a bunch, ill call and get it strait, the girl did tell me thought the cck kit had to be hooked to a dvr so ill jus ride with it as i have all my receiver basically hidden under dressers and all tvs mounted on walls and wires through walls amd i can use remotes in RF mode so i dont have to have recivers in site or point at them, and i wont have to move receiver around.....kinda picky like that, well not kinda, VERY lol

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    She was talking about this:
    [​IMG]

but you'll have something more like this, but with many more:

[​IMG]

14. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit AllStar

Feb 28, 2011
    cool, 30 min call jus got me whole home dvr and 5 deca's being sent to me in 3 days free of charge! not bad

15. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit AllStar

Feb 28, 2011
    Ive already named all my Receivers for the whole home but I've noticed on each tv I don't see my playlist from the other tvs...is that because thre not networked with the decas and the cck yet? I'm guess I'll need all that first

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes without the networking there isn't any way for them "to talk" to each other.

17. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    VOS has you sorted with the information you needed. But when I looked at your pictures I noticed the cable from one of the SWM outputs on the SWM16. It is the lower one (SWM2). It is "almost" 90 degrees from the connector.

It probably isnt causing a problem but the potential is there. While the tech is doing the rest of your stuff I would ask him (and offer a tip :) ) to reterminate that cable. It will take him less than 5 minutes.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Well" if you're going to get down to it, how about using a second mounting screw too? ;)

19. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Well I didnt want to get too nit-picky. :lol: I didnt like the cable but when I looked closer it looks kinked. It could be the shadow but if it is kinked, then it could lead to all sorts of problems.