1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you grade Directv's performance this year?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ProgPic, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Dec 9, 2010 #1 of 88
    ProgPic

ProgPic Legend

Sep 13, 2009
    Since it looks like we will have no more HD additions this year, I thought it would be interesting to give Directv a letter-grade for their performance this year. If anyone has more time and/or skill, feel free to set this up as a poll or somehow compile the results. Here's my grade:

C+

Positives:

- Three channels on my quick-tune were switched to HD this year: Travel, Goltv and Fox Soccer Channel.

- Lots of additions to premium packages for those who use them.

Minuses:

- Very few 'basic cable' additions. WGN, Lifetime and MSNBC have very limited appeal for me. ESPNU was a no-brainer but should have been added when it first became available.

- Some channels seeming like HD certainties weren't added. NatGeoWild added in SD but not HD. Why? No GSN-HD even though they own half of it?

- Moving the HD Plus channels into the 500's. I know a lot of people are fine with this, but I always forget they are there. I think it's a tremendous value and only getting better, but I'm questioning whether to keep it since I never watch them.

2. Dec 9, 2010 #2 of 88
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I give them a B+. The quality of their service remains steadfast. While the addition of more HD channels may not have met everyone's approval they have and will continue to do so.

3. Dec 9, 2010 #3 of 88
    Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I would give them a B+ also!

4. Dec 9, 2010 #4 of 88
    SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I'd give them a C-

Points for being reliable and their Android app. Also The101 is great.

Lost points for crappy OTA tuner on my HR20 and basically being told to deal with it. No HD locals despite being in DMA114. Also not happy with with lack of a certain HD offerings: AMD, IFC, BBCA, E!, More HBO's, and HLN to name a few.

5. Dec 9, 2010 #5 of 88
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Judging them based on my preferences, I'd have to give them an A.

I never watch anything except sports and movies. DirecTV excels at sports and I have hard drives full of movies recorded from the premiums and the HD Extra channels that I have yet to watch, with more recording all the time.

Yes, there are a few more channels I'd like in HD, but no real complaints here.

6. Dec 9, 2010 #6 of 88
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I would say A-. Still need to get caught up with HD premiums, but WHDVR is a winner.

7. Dec 9, 2010 #7 of 88
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I would give them an A- because of WHDVR Service (MRV) which is Great and additions of The Travel Channel in HD along with moving toward the Debut of Nomad it seems Directv is really trying to be the Leader in offering services to it's customers.

We could use a little more HD Channels though but I guess we will see that "Soon"!!!

8. Dec 9, 2010 #8 of 88
    Crow159

Crow159 Member

May 23, 2007
    I have to give two grades, one for Directv from a business perspective and one for Directv from a customer perspective.

Business: A

Directv has made decisions that seem to be working quite well. The bottom line is that Directv is thriving in a economic downturn when a lot of other companies are struggling. That alone deserves an A grade.

Customer's perspective: B-

Directv has done a slightly better than average job in giving customers what they want. The HD channel additions have really only served the Premium and PPV crowd while adding little basic package channels while competitors have added several more basic channels during the same time. They have done a better than average job than competitors when it comes to value add services. MRV is big and outweighs most of the advantages of the HD channels additions competitors have added.

All in all, Directv is doing fine. Basic HD channel additions seem to be the most often criticized aspect with the customers, yet thanks to their other products and services it is not having a negative impact on the business side. That tells me that those Basic channels that people want do not, at this time, outweigh the other aspects, such as MRV, that people enjoy.

9. Dec 9, 2010 #9 of 88
    lflorack

lflorack Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    I'd say an A.
    • Service is relaible
    • PQ is excellent
    • MRV is a SUPER addition -- my favorite of the year!
    • NFLST is an exclusive for D* (although a bit expensive)
    • The DVR's are better than most in functionality and very solid in reliability
    • Although I'd never turn down more HD, I'm happy enough with the HD offereings

The other options around here are OTA or Time Warner Cable and of course Dish. OTA is fine but limited. TWC sucks -- especially their DVR's. I haven't tried Dish yet but underdstand it's quite good as well. However, I'm happy with DirecTV so I have no reason to switch.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    A-/B+

Most of the customers that are unhappy tend to be customers that are never happy ever....

11. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I give them a B. Disappointed by the HD channel adds, but MRV is fantastic.

12. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    I would give them a B+ ... only some lousey firmware updates kept them from an A.

13. ProgPic

ProgPic Legend

Sep 13, 2009
    Perhaps I wasn't 100% clear with my initial idea. While these are some really good thoughts, I was most curious about everyone's thoughts specifically about their performance THIS YEAR. Was D12 everything it was hoped for? Have the channel additions been enough? Multi-room viewing a hit or miss? etc.

While reliability, being the 'sports leader', Sunday Ticket, etc. are all very important, they really aren't anything that has changed much in the past year. I guess another way to look at it is to imagine any New Year's resolutions you may have made for Directv at the end of last year based on what we expected to happen and, in your mind, how well those goals have been met.

14. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    C +

My DVR's are still slow as ..... well you know and no upgrade path to the supposedly fast 24 series though DTV.

Dissapointed with lack of national HD additions like DIY, BBC and E!

The online channel guide is useless and the guide on the receivers looks like something from my commodore 64c computer from the 80's.

No way to schedule something to record to another DVR, this is basic functionality that should be setup, esp since they already do it with the H series boxes.

Loss of Versus for the first couple of months still give me heartburn

Raised cost of the WHDVR is way too expensive.

I hate that the premium package doesn't include all the extra's, like the HD extra pack, MRV fee, DVR fee and HD fee.

Still no HD Tivo they told me would be available 2 years ago.

I like the fact they pretty much eliminated the HD fee!!! That is a big plus in my book

I like how MRV works.

They recently added some of my local channels

MSG in HD for hockey games got fixed this past year

15. rkr0923

rkr0923 Guest

Sep 14, 2006
    D-

16. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    This year: A

MRV - Brilliant success
    HD Channel Additions - not applicable for me, since I had all the HD I needed at the end of last year.
    Android App - Love it
    Stability - Great. Haven't missed a recorded show the entire year and speed of the DVR's is just fine on my end.
    Future - Lots of great things coming up (NOMAD, HMC30) that leads me to believe D*'s not resting.
    HD Fee - Free for at least the next 2 years.

17. thelucky1

thelucky1 Icon

Feb 23, 2009
    This year: B

Lack of new HD basic channel additions. :(
    NO HD fee for the next 2 years. :)
    I do like the HD Extra pack additions. :)
    Finally got my locals in HD. :)

18. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Not true for me. If I had HD locals I would move them from C- to a B. A few more HD channels would move them to an A-.

19. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    B-

Still much to be improved on for some...like HD adds, CSR training, computer program codes in billing and model specificity.

20. thelucky1

thelucky1 Icon

Feb 23, 2009
    I respectfully disagree with that statement.

I have been unhappy a few times with Directv for screwing up my bill, however it all worked out. I have also been unhappy with Directv this year as far as the new HD basic channel additions, but I am still "for the most part" satisfied with my Directv service and have been a loyal customer since the mid 90s. A few more basic HD channel additions and I will be very happy. :D

just sayin' :lol: