1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you rate NBC's telecast of the Olympics?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by invaliduser88, Aug 29, 2004.

How would you rate NBC telecast of the Athen's Olympics?

1. A - It was absolutely great

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B - Good job but could do better

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. C - Bearable

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  4. D - Definitely could use significant improvement

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  5. F - Bob Costa's must die!

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Now that the flame is extinguished how would you rate NBC's presentation?

2. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I only watched the HD content which I recorded every night on my 921 and zipped through to my own personal "compelling" content (Hmm, I guess Charlie is NEVER going to live down that comment) . I'm going to watch the closing ceremonies tonight when they extinguish the giant Olympic Doobie (Hey man, ya got any Doritos?).

I liked the fact that the PQ was great, but hated the audio (it kept coming up PCM on my receiver). I wished they had a greater variety of events. No basketball or soccer until the final days. I got SO sick of swimming and diving. Would've like to have seen more women's sports, but at least we saw some softball and basketball.

3. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    After dumping the HD coverage on day 2, I really enjoyed being able to watch all of the sports on the cable channels that don't usually get any coverage. I am not a big fan of handball and water polo in particular. Loved all of the beach volleyball coverage, the fencing, the modern pentathalons, etc. Once I got over how bad the HD coverage was, I was able to very much enjoy the extensive SD coverage. And, as I recorded everything, I was able to completely choose what I wanted to watch and what I wanted to skip. That was really the best part.

4. Joe Capitano

Joe Capitano AllStar

Aug 13, 2002
    Well, at least one good thing came from this consolidation of media: a multicast that most could actually see, even if you had to do a bit of fishing.

The "Showcase" channel was nice, but the highlight loop wasn't being updated as well as it should have been. On at least one occasion the loop was showing two-day-old material well after it had become irrelevant. That said, I'm not sure I'd keep it for Torino 2006.

Overall, having so many options - and plenty of live ones at that - actually was worth it. Now, would someone please feed Carol Lewis a sedative. Down, girl.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Strictly second string. One night I sat down to watch it, near the end of the loop. Someone hit the rewind button on the VCR and we got to watch the entire loop run backwards to the beginning. Gave me a chance to get some chips and salsa.

6. Didn't use the multi-screen interactive page... rarely in the evenings were more than one event on that we saw. Hope DISH uses this for football/baseball in the future. Or allow us to program the multi-screen page.

Flat-out didn't watch HD... as much as prime-time was delayed... HD wasn't worth it.

As good the ratings were... hardly watched any of the coverage at our house. Just don't enjoy watching sports events where you already know the ending. No drama.

And the opening and closing ceremonies are just too ponderous.

But Team USA kicked butt didn't they?

That said, enormous technical achievment by NBC and a lot of the new technology they used and/or experimented with will end up in main stream sports like football and Nascar.

It will be interesting to see how it all will work from Beijing. It's tomorrow there right?

-Earl
    Yankee born Southern bred and mixed up over that International Dateline

7. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    The coverage is a LOT more palatable with a PVR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.