1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How young is too young for a DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by PK6301, Jul 18, 2012.

1. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    How young is too young to have a DVR installed in a childs room?

The reason I ask is because when I was looking through the recordings on my DVR the other night I noticed that I have recorded at least 10 movies for my son such as Green Lantern-Smurfs-Chipmunks, ect..ect..

It is just a general question, But the advantage of not having it in his room is that it gives us bonding time on the couch together :group:

Thank You for your input.

2. espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    I would ask those that want Disney Jr. in HD.

But seriously, I programmed VCRs at 9 so I think that is good enough.

3. Crow159

Crow159 Member

May 23, 2007
    I decided to put a DVR in my daughter's room when she was 7. I locked down all the channels that I didn't want her to access and recorded the movies and shows she was allowed to watch. All she had to do was open up the list and play what she wanted.

As she's grown older, I've loosened some of the parental controls so that she has access to the channels that she's allowed to watch and she now selects what she wants to record and watch. She's 12 now.

4. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Answers are going to be all over the place. But my personal feelings are that tv is generally bad for young kids with growing muscles and brains. Scientific studies back this up as well. They need more stimulation than staring at moving pictures on a box all day long. They need to move, think, read and interact with others. So my kids never had tv in their rooms (one is grown now). Having said that, in moderation, it should be fine, as long as your kid is no longer a preschooler and it's limited to a few hours a day.

Questions like this usually make me cringe. Not long ago one poster asked how he could auto-play Netflix so his 2 yr old could watch Sponge Bob all day long. While I like Sponge Bob myself, ignoring your toddler and letting the tv babysit them all day is no way to raise a child. I know this isn't your situation, but it's just an example of how stupid some people can be.

Anyway, you may not like my answer, but you asked, so there it is.

5. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Had I had the money at the time that is what I would have done when my daughter was 8 and I put a receiver in her room. With MRV she practically has one in there anyway, but I'll be putting one in soon enough.

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    The question isn't how young is too young for a DVR but how young is too young for their own TV. In this I agree with mdavej.

7. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Funny thing is, now Netflix auto-plays if you are watching a series. It jumps to the next episode on its own

8. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    That's a relatively new feature. Didn't work that way when I saw that post a few months ago.

I like the feature and use it myself. I just don't think it's necessarily a good thing to do with small children. Play an episode or two, then turn it off and have your child do something else.

9. snappjay

snappjay Legend

Jul 16, 2010
    hulu does the same. It's great for Saturday's, catching up on TV episodes

10. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    That is true and I agree whole-heartedly. I use it myself as well.

11. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    My co-workers 2 1/2 year old boy has no difficulty programming and operating his HR24. Go figure.

They have to hide the remote from him. So far, he has not figured out that the front panel buttons do anything.

He is similarly adept at using his dad's android phone. Downright scary.:)

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I like your answer and agree completely. TV sets don't belong in bedrooms (childrens or adults) IMHO, but I suspect I'm in the overwhelming minority on this.

13. rainydave

rainydave AllStar

May 28, 2006
    I'm right there with you.

14. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    A few years ago, I was doing a walk-through with a friend/customer in his new house which was under construction. It was studded out but no sheet rock had been installed. We were talking about where to run wires and for the stereo and television, settling on locations for electronics and speakers. When we got to his and his wife's bedroom, I asked him where he want the TV. He looked at me like I was from Mars and said, "Television in the bedroom kills sex!"

15. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Exactly. My boys have had their own DVR in the play room pretty much their whole lives, although they weren't able to set up their own recordings until they were about 6 or 7.

TV in the bedroom, however, is a no-no in this house. My kids will never have a TV in their bedroom, because I don't want them hang out in there and be isolated. A fine line, I guess, since they have a play room, but I'd much rather they hang out together with access to all their toys and in open view of us than sequestered in their own room with the door shut.

We do, however, allow them to watch TV in our bedroom on occasion, mainly because it's right next to the living room and we're in and out of there all the time. And for the record, my wife only uses our bedroom TV when she's getting ready in the morning.

16. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    My 16 year old son has had his own for at least 3 years now. He is a very responsible, good kid, with great grades. If his grades ever drop, so does the dvr, but I doubt this will ever be an issue.

17. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Not if you have Cinemax.

18. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    MY 3 1/2 year old does the same thing... we discovered it one day when we found that there where 268 Caillou episodes recorded!

Hiding there remote does nothing because he knows what all the buttons on the front do..

As far as TV in this room, Yes he has a H25 in there... But, before i get blasted i will say this... there are many rules on when TV is watched.

1. It is setup so that he needs a pass code to bypass viewing hours that mean he must get myself or mom to unlock it for him...

2. He is limited to a short time in the morning and a short time before bed to watch TV.

3. TV is not watched without doing something to earn the time.. IE being good, listening, keeping toys picked up, eating all his dinner, etc

Usually the time in the morning he watches in his room (located next to the living room) we both use it as "Wake up" time and im in the next room checking emails and such... I try to make a point to watch something with him in the living room in the evening so we have a chance for bonding before he goes to be but, our bonding does not always include TV.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I remember back in the day I'd gotten in trouble and my parents unhooked the TV, and I hooked it back up because I wanted to watch 3-2-1 Contact. Those were the days, some good stuff on PBS that i watched when I was sick. Didn't have a TV n my room until I was more than 30, but not used all that much.

20. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I've never found that generalization to be true :D