1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's it going to work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Cinema Field Trial (private)' started by inkahauts, May 26, 2010.

1. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    So here is my theory...

You drop something in the que...

and then...

I am guessing they will do hi speed downloads to boxes at night when the ppv channels are all dark giving them the bandwidth needed for this... And if you que a movie in there way in advance (still in theaters selections), it will probably drop to your box well before it actually is available, and therefore will be ready the second its supposed to be released.

This would mean the most popular movies will probably get dropped daily, but the more obscure ones may only get dropped once every few days, assuming anyone has even requested them...

Not to mention, any movie that is on a ppv channel could probably just be recorded whenever a tuner was free, so that it wouldn't even require the hi speed dump...

Ok, thats my guess... and I reserve the right to change/alter it whenever I want....

How do you guys think they are going to do this?

I also think this will work on the sd directvplus dvrs too.... eventually.. I would imagine...

2. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I like this option, although I'm wondering if VOD style will play any role at all.

Also - I'm assuming this trial is in play because of the last couple of big films (like Avatar) that were provided on PPV a "month before" they hit the home video/box/netflix market? i.e. some new deal that has potential to be very lucrative and expand PPV sales into more homes.

3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Total WAG here, but I have to think some of this will be high-speed streaming from one or both of the Spaceways (perhaps the 720p high speed downloads mentioned in the recent CE notes?). I also wonder if it's possible that Directv might try implementing some type of encrypted torrenting process to alleviate some of the load on their main servers and allow very fast distributed downloads of the most popular titles. I mean, they have millions of distributed mini-Linux boxes deployed, a good (and increasing) percentage of which are networked to a broadband connection. It just makes sense to try to leverage some of that infrastructure.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I think mine is supposed to be only phone line connected so obviously it will be one movie a month for me or it will come down from the birds.

5. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Oh, this is coming from the birds, no question about it......

I too think the spaceways may play a roll in this... And if so, may have nothing to do with d12 and d10... Unless they want to make sure that goes well before they use the spaceways for this...

I think the main goal of all this is to not require broadband for much vod....

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Sure, that makes total sense... Increased market penetration with VOD without having a truck roll to hook customers up. Not to mention better service to areas out in the boonies that have limited internet speeds.

7. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Plus, no longer need to worry about caps from comcast for internet stuff... Don;t let your success be determined by a competitor.. Make it up to you....

8. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Maybe this is how it will work, I got this in the mail just today:

Attached Files:

9. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    If this works out, it opens up the possibility to eliminate some of the real-time PPVs in favor of VOD that everyone can access, and releases that bandwidth for other new channels.

Is that not true?