1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's the weather?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Dec 18, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We're having a really wet weather year so far and this headline doesn't portend well for Christmas: Series of storms bears down on California. I understand there's been a bit of troublesome snow in other places.

How are things where you are?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    OK, rain, sometimes heavy, SNR dropping from 13.5 dB to 10 dB sometimes ...

3. nick1984

nick1984 New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Snow, snow snow. Merry Christmas

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The creek has dropped below flood stage "for now".

5. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Sunny but "cold" -- highs in the mid to upper 40's :)

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Nothing too unusual for the NorthEast. All the extreme weather so far has gone around us.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

Not too bad today. It's been raining almost continuously for over a week, and really for most of the month, so at this point nothing is being absorbed by the ground, and it's all running off into the drains into the rivers, or making big standing pools of water.

A couple of days ago we had to reschedule a job. The customer's yard was "dirt", which around here is clay, and after all this rain, was more like "soup" or quicksand. The dish was mounted in the back of the house, and the backyard was a soupy lake. The customer was upset, but any tech who tried to walk out there would need a rescue team to extract him.

That's the only really bad one so far.

8. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Very typical La Nina weather.

9. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    The rain here is just about as cold as it can get without it being snow. It's windy and just plain nasty outside.

In other words, typical December weather here on the hill in the PNW...

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Or" typical Oregonian weather. !rolling

11. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Or Washingtonian... ;)

12. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    It has been a strange winter here in Colorado, east of the rockies has been extremely dry. If Denver gets no more snow by the end of the year it will be the driest Sept - Dec period on record with under 2" officially. Go west of the rockies and there is plenty of snow, northern mountains are running 110% - 130% of average and southern mountains are 85% - 90% of average

13. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    This will be our 4th Christmas in Georgia and I can honestly say that I have not experienced anything as cold here as I have over the last few days. We have had a few days where the highs were in the range of 29 to 31 and lows were in the range of 14 to 17.
    Christmas though should be rather pleasant with a high in the range of 48 to 52 and a low around 20.

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Our creeks are so far below flood stage that when a fisherman casts a lure it kicks up a dust cloud.

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Have gone from our Autumn monsoon to a artic blast. :rolleyes:

16. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    For the past couple of weeks, we have been cycling between 70's and 40's with no rain to speak of. It was in the upper 30's to low 40's this morning in Houston, and will probably be back into the upper 70's tomorrow. By the time XMAS rolls around, we're supposed to swing back in the 40's to 50's.

17. Polardog

Polardog Legend

Mar 4, 2008
    Here in NW NJ we've had below average temps for the past couple of weeks. High 20's to low 30's during the day, low to mid teens and low 20's at night. Constant cloud cover streamimg off the Great Lakes delivering just a few snow flurries/showers. Those snow bands usually dry out before arriving here. Occasionally they can deliver a half inch or so of snow. So, there is no snow cover here yet.
    Close call today of a coastal storm that was forecast to dump heavy snow & high wind here. But the storm is too far out to sea.

18. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    We beat another record for snowfall in one month - November. It was the most snow in one month on the record books! It is snowing again, and snowed all day yesterday. It feels like it has been snowing for 2 months straight!

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    No floaties or pontoons issued by your company??
    :rolleyes::lol:

I am a bit West of BZ, with a small creek behind my house. It flows through a series of retaining ponds and then on into Lake Merritt, which is a tidal basin. I am about to take off and check it out..... If I don't post tonight, please call the Coast Guard; I'll be in the Oakland/Alameda Estuary, probably.....

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Rain, rain and again rain with short stops.