HR 20-700 hard drive is so loud

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Marty999, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Marty999

Marty999 AllStar

Mar 15, 2008
    DTV just sent me a refurbished HR20-700 for a broken HR20-100 (since I had OTA). I've had an HR10-250, we have an HR 24 and I've had other DVRs, but the HD on this HR 20 is so loud. It is going every 5-10 seconds over and over. Although it isn't grinding, it sounds as if someone is scratching a surface with a nail. I can hear it across the room. There is no way I can keep this DVR in my house. I can't help but think this is a soon to fail disk. I have a call in to D* and apparently I have to wait for a case manager.

Any thoughts on whether I should just insist they take it back?

BTW, in the spirit of D*s great customer service, the original reason for my call to them tonight was that the new HR20 came without a power cord. I was told that they had to assign this problem to a "case manager" who would call me in the morning about the cable and to determine whether I had to return the whole DVR. A case manager for a cord? That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

I was able to take a cable from another DVR to get it going tonight and that is when the disk thrashing showed up...

2. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I had a HR22 that did this, I just put up with it. Functionally it worked as yours will most likely do. To me this is not normal but if you can live with it keep it.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Do you have the Protection Plan? If so it should be covered. Either way if it's that loud it's interfering with your viewing pleasure and should be returned.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't knock the Case Management Group (CMG), they will fix your problem. Consider this a stroke of luck! You'll probably get another replacement when you explain the issues you're having with the 20-700, which probably had those same issues with the last person who had it. If you think the contractor that "refurbishes" the returned HRs actually "refurbishes" them, you're wrong. Receive them, repack them, send them out to the next person who actually might not return them.

While others might think you have a bad or the ever popular "marginal" HDD, it's probably a combination of the Seagate internal drive and the 20-700. They started "chattering" loudly some time ago after an NR. While not a "normal" issue with DVRs, it is rather normal with a 20-700 and a Seagate internal drive. You might try purchasing a cheap external drive if you want to keep the 20-700. A 1TB WD EVDS HDD with an MX-1 or a Thermaltake docking station is a good bet. But, why not return it and try another "refurbished" (urban legend) HR. You might get lucky and get one that actually works well.

I've had the same thing happen to one of my owned HRs and dumped the HR, after taking out the 1.5TB Seagate HDD that replaced the original internal drive. The 1.5 HDD was making so much noise I couldn't stand it. Ended up putting the 1.5 in a TT docking station and hooking the setup to a leased HR and it has been running quietly ever since. I was positive the 1.5 was shot. Wrong again and glad I tried the TT. Saved a good HDD.

Rich

5. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    My old HR10-250 is still whisper quiet. I've had this noise problem with a few Hr20s and 21s. One we exchanged, and received a very quiet refurb. The other one exchanged came back with another refurb every bit as loud. Its annoying when you are trying to sleep and it sounds like someone is constantly typing. It must be the type/brand of hard drive that is used.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Mostly Seagate Barracudas. Some make noise, some don't. Most do. Don't know how you could sleep with that noise.

Rich

7. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Yep Rich you are right, may this never happen again! I bet the refurbs get a simple test and back out they go. My guess is the hard drive only gets replaced if it will not spin anymore.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    As others have posted, the drives started having more activity a while back.
    There were many threads about this and most of it seems to come down to how the drive is mounted in the case. One forum member removed the cover on the receiver and the drive quieted down.
    I've got early HR20-700s with the Seagates and one doesn't make any noise, while the other "chirps" a bit, but hasn't sounded like a typewriter/machine gun in a long time.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've been told that they have to pass a "28 point test". That's nonsense, since I've received a few DOA HRs that wouldn't boot up or show a power light. And that's just one reason I doubt the "28 point refurb test". I could almost write a book.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, some 20-700s do it and some don't. I've opened up several 20-700s and found loose screws, a screw from the HDD's sled rolling around inside the case things like that. No wonder so many of them make noises. Some have tight screws, the rubber grommets in place and still make that "seeking" typewriterish sound. No rhyme or reason to it. Whatever they are "seeking", I sure wish they'd find it.

Rich

11. Marty999

Marty999 AllStar

Mar 15, 2008
    Thanks for all the feedback. I can't live with the sound. I can actually hear it in another room 30 feet away. The good news is the case mgt folks are sending a different HR 20. We'll see how that sounds. Maybe I'll get a HR20-100. My old one was fine. I do plan to add an external 2 TB drive in an Antec MX-1 case, the same one I had on the old HR 20. So, the noise might have gone down, but I'd rather get a clean fresh start with a quite machine. Since I can't swap the external to another HR, I'm commited to the HR 20 for a while.

BTW, the noise is definitely the platter not loose screws, though I didn't open it. Some of the additional noise seems to be by design. The HR 20-700 has open cooling slots on the top that my 20-100 didn't have, so the drive noise is vented externally. I should add that the noise stayed the same after the new HR 20 updated its software after the first day it was up and running.

Also, I'm trying an Hitachi 2TB drive in the external case. I've given up on Seagate for a while with firmware problems, though I'd been a long term fan. I have an NAS and the Hitachi's are working great when WD EADS and Seagate wouldn't. I'll report back on the set up in the set up thread when I see how it works.

12. Marty999

Marty999 AllStar

Mar 15, 2008
    Just an update. I received another HR20-700 and hooked it up and it is quiet.

I also then hooked up the Hitachi 2 TB drive in the Antec case and it works fine, but it is actually pretty loud. I have another extra drive and will try that to see if it is the same.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You might want to try the WD EVDS 2TB drive. Very quiet. I use them on and in 20-700s and, usually, don't hear anything.

Rich

14. Marty999

Marty999 AllStar

Mar 15, 2008
    That's my next plan. Still haven't hooked up the second Hitachi, which I will do today. I needed to run the Hitachi disk tools (which I always do) to check the new drive. Will report back.

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I received an HR21-100 replacement for a hard drive failing HR21-200, and it had a dead front panel (no lights, no button responses, no response to remote control, right out of the box. To be fair, this is something that could have come loose during shipping. They sent another HR21-100 and it works perfectly.

16. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Same drive here with the Theraltake dock and I can't hear a thing from it, even when right next to it. It also does not run very hot...just warm to the touch. I have it sitting behind my HDTV on the same stand, obviously out in the open air.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got one in a TT in the master bedroom and it is noisier than my other EVDS drives, but I run a "white noise" CD all night long and don't notice it. It's nowhere near as loud as a Seagate in a 20-700.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    With all the replacements that I have received, I've never gotten one that I could blame on bad shipping. I've never gotten anything from UPS or FedEx that I thought was damaged in shipping.

Rich

19. Marty999

Marty999 AllStar

Mar 15, 2008
    I have a Star Tech dock connected to my desktop and have been swapping drives in and out of it for a while and it works great. It makes testing drives so easy. The Hitachi is whisper quiet in it, but not in the Antec case. I don't really want to use the dock with the HR 20 in the family room since I have small kids and all I need them to do is get into an exposed drive and that wouldn't be good.

I was still planning to try my extra Hitachi in the Antec case over the weekend. I think I'll first try to hook up the Star Tech dock and other Hitachi to the HR 20 and see how it sounds. If it works quietly, I may try the second Hitachi in the Antec case. If it is quiet in the dock but not in the Antec case, then I know it is the case, not the drive.

As back up, I will pick up a WD EVDS ($129 at New Egg).

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That's sounding more like the dock is in play as the noise source...