HR-20 keeps dropping off Whole Home among others

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Matt L, Feb 13, 2019 at 7:40 PM.

1. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    I have a tank of an HR-20 that has been in use for well over a decade and pretty much is still going strong. Issue I've been having as of late is for no reason it will drop of the WH network. I'll be watching a show then I'll get the notice "no longer available..." If I go to the HR-20 and reconnect the internet in 15-20 minutes it will pop up. Had this happen with one or two other DRVs too so it's not just the HR-20, but the HR20 happens more frequently. Not sure what is going now, my WH has been stable for over a decade, never had these issues.

I'm hard wired via CAT5 to my home router. The only change -that should have no impact on my DVRs - is I dumped ATT Uverse internet and went with Comcast.

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    What router are you using? Has that changed?

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What’s all your other equipment and how is it all connected? Has anything in the system or on your home network changed recently?

4. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Router is Asus AC-87U, been in use for 2-3 years now. 3 HR24s and an HR20 on the network. Only change is internet service from ATT to Comcast. Using my own modem. I have added a 4T USB drive connected to the router as a server/backup.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps for test purpose, but I would do that permanent - set static IP to all your DTV IRDs and decrease your DHCP pool to reserve space 10-20 IPs for that purpose.

6. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Thanks, did that long ago. Have even tried reassigning addresses for each box, no luck. Have a large mostly wired network, currently router reports 30 "clients".

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That's tough environment for troubleshooting … no access to the IRD's logs ... perhaps logging traffic at the router point will help ? or Ethershark employing ?

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I’d suggest disconnecting the DIRECTV system from the internet and seeing what happens when it’s isolated for a while.

And how exactly do you have it all connected? Do you use a deca for the HR20 or are you bridging Via a router to a deca network for the other receivers or???

9. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    All my DVRs area connected via CAT5 to my home router. No DECA or anything else.

in doing research I see that the HR24 have built on COAX networking. If I disconnect from the CAT 5 and reboot will the HR24s do Whole Home over existing Coax? I really don't care of the DVRs are able to connect to the internet, I only uses that option rarely, though I could add the needed hardware. The only issue is the HR20, but that could be swapped out though 3 DVRs are plenty to record everything anymore.

Edit, could I just add one of these to the HR20, connect it to the internet? or would I need 2?

https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-Broa...8&qid=1410159564&sr=8-1&keywords=deca+adapter

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 12:22 AM
  10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    If your Going to use Coax -You will need a Deca to connect to your router/switch. That How the Internet Gets to the Coax - If you had a genie it would be Built in and would not need a cck deca