HR 20 S - Did my optical audio out Fail?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mika911, Mar 26, 2011.

1. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    I have what i believe is called a HR 20 Silver. One of the early DirecTV HD DVR after TiVo.

It was replaced last year by DirecTV, identical refurbished unit.

To the point, I had been getting my Dolby Digital out via HDMI.

However, I recently had the reason to go back to getting it from the Optical Audio Out on the back of the receiver. However, I can't get any sound from it all all, nothing (out of the optical port).

And there is no red light coming out of the port.

Does that mean the port completely failed, or is there some setting I have off?

Many thanks.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "It's dead Jim"

3. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Yeah, it sounds like the optical port/it's accompanying circuits have somehow malfunctioned. The red light is usually on regardless of any receiver settings (dolby or otherwise).
    Time for a new receiver if optical matters much to you.

4. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Thanks all. I wonder how easily I could get DirecTV to replace it for the optical audio failing?

I might have to try eventually.

5. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Well.. it is a technical function of that and every other comparable receiver. So yes, that would likely be a reason for them to replace it. There are a couple of ways to go about that. They can send you a replacement, and have you hook it up and call to activate it. Or send a technician out to replace the receiver and double check to make sure that nothing else in the system is causing any issues (unlikely). Do you have the Directv Protection Plan?

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I believe that's the first post of that nature that I've ever seen. And one problem that I've never had.

Rich

7. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    check to make sure the door on the port is still in place

8. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I thought my optical port on an HR was dead. Turned out to be the cable. They are so tiny a minor kink destroys the optical link. Before changing out the HR, try another cable if you can.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Think this points to it not being the cable.