1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-20 Whole Home incompatibility

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by FostersBeerGuy, Aug 23, 2010.

1. FostersBeerGuy

FostersBeerGuy New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Just had my Whole Home install on Friday. When the installer noticed that I had two "silver HD DVRs" (HR-20s), he said that they have been having a lot of problems getting them to work with MRV. After playing around with them for a few minutes, he wrote them off and called D* to get authorization to replace them with new HR-24s :lol:

Just a heads up, if you have any of the HR-20s and are considering the Whole Home install, you might end up with a little bonus. On a related note, having 8 HD tuners and 1.75 TB of networked storage is Niiiiiice. :D

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    The installer was just "too lazy" to set up up those "silver HD DVRs" properly. They work fine for MRV, and in some markets, that is all they currently have to do installs with!

3. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Interesting... were these HR20-100s?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The HR20-100s have been a bit more troublesome to get working than the HR20-700, or any of the other DVRs.
    The HR20-100 requires a special configuration that the others don't.

5. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I didn't have one problem when my HR20-100 was my main box. Line comes in, splitter goes on, BSF and DECA, tighten 'er up, enjoy.

I must have missed out on the fun I guess.

6. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    There's no doubt the HR20-100s work. They just require additional steps/setup due to a power issue that no other box requires. That tends to lead to confusion and hence problems.

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    FWIW, my HR20-700 worked just fine on a SWiM8 but refeused to on a SWiM16, that scored me a new HR24-500.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I thought some 20-100s were having issues even with the BSF properly installed.

9. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Even with the revision of how to hook it up?

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Actually this does "depend". Some do work fine with the correct setup, but there are others that don't, which seems to be slightly higher than a receiver that just randomly doesn't [like what RAD posted].

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I think the fact that they had a revision shows these aren't 100%. The RF & DC "changes" from the first & second configuration "shouldn't matter", but they have.

12. FostersBeerGuy

FostersBeerGuy New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    For the record, one was a 100 and the other a 700. The installer didn't seem to differentiate between the two.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds like he was a bit lazy and had 24s on the truck.
    "The record" shows these aren't that big of a problem as he suggested.

14. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    I had the Whole Home installed last week and already had 2 HR20-700 I was using. The installer added an H24 upstairs. The 2 HR20's set up correctly with no problems. We could never get the H24 to recognize either of the HR20's. The installer was supposed to return Saturday to resolve the issue, but of course he never showed up or called. I called and left him a message this morning, still nothing. I guess my next call will be to D*!

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    First question would be do you have the broadband DECA to router?
    Without one, the receivers need to handle the IP searching and 20s & 24s take much longer to do this, for some reason. The router being connected seems to make this much faster.

16. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    I had the router connected directly into 1 of the HR20's and used it for On Demand, APP's, etc. The installer just unhooked the ethernet cable from the HR20 and plugged it into the DECA. I'm assuming(?) the connection there is right.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "The DECA"? :confused:
    If this is a stand alone DECA with PI, then sure.
    If this is what's connected to your HR20, then no.

18. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    By DECA, I was referring to the little white box with DECA written on it. I'm not totally familiar with the whole terminology.

The router is ethernet'd to a white "DECA" box, which is connected via cable to another identical white box, which is connected to the HR20 downstairs. The upstairs HR20 also has the white "DECA" box connected into it. Both HR20's see each other.

The H24 is farthest away from the switch, so he installed the power source in the room with it. It says it is authorized for MultiRoom but that "No Networked DVR's Found".

I have changed the location name, unplugged and replugged cables, RBR'd many many times, but nothing works. Still doesn't see other DVR's

19. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    I just talked to the installer who is supposed to be here tonight, and he's going to try placing the power supply downstairs near the HR20 that is closest to the router.

Is a bad receiver a possibility?

Thanks for all the help

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What's going on at the H24, isn't clear [yet].
    The H24 doesn't need a DECA, nor a power supply for it.
    "Basically":
    Each HR20 needs to have a DECA and the H24 doesn't. None of these should have any other ethernet cables [other than the DECAs having a jumper to the HR20].
    The router should have an ethernet connection to a separate DECA and this one needs to have a power supply connected to it on one end and a coax to the other end. These DECAs have 3 LEDs and these should be green. Yellow or off is a sign something isn't working as well as it should.