HR 21 New Internal HDD Not Intializing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TheCarsForever, Jan 19, 2019.

1. TheCarsForever

TheCarsForever New Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Hello,

I have an owned DirecTV HR-21 DVR and about every 2 years I clone the internal drive to prevent me from having to deal with an HDD crash and losing all content. I have never had issues following the directions in these forums to use gParted to do this. The snag I am running into this time is that the new HDD won't initialize when I put it in the DVR to 'prep' it for cloning. Typically I gracefully power down the old drive and then attach the new one, power on and the new drive is prepped for use. This time I am getting an error and an option to reboot which doesn't help. In the past I typically used Western Digital Green drives but this time opted for a Seagate Ironwolf 2TB ST2000NE0025 in the hopes that it would age better. The new drive is recognized by gParted without issue and the old drive works just fine in the DVR so I don't think the new drive nor the DVR have issues. All of this said, I am not sure if there is something about the Ironwolf drive that makes it unusable for the DVR.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated - especially if you have experience, good or ill, using this drive in an HR2x series DVR.

Thanks in advance!

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't imagine a Seagate drive not working but there were times when we were figuring out the eSATA function that we ran across drives that would not work. For no reason that we could see. I used Seagate Barracudas for a couple years and they worked well but were very noisy. I went to Green Caviar WDs then and thought that was the answer, it wasn't. Try another drive, that might answer your question.

Rich

3. TheCarsForever

Jan 19, 2019
    Thanks for the quick response and sorry I was not fully clear in my original post. I have a number of 1TB drives on-hand and when I put one in it initialized without an issue. The prior WD Green 2TB also works fine if I put it back in. I feel this is telling me that the DVR is working just fine, but the unknown seems to be whether I have gotten a fluke bad drive or if the Seagate Ironwolf drive is one of those rarities that won't work in the DVR. I am hoping someone may have tried this drive series to help me know if I need to buy a different drive or work with Seagate support to get a replacement if the drive should be working.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I understood what you meant. You have more patience than I do, I'd just return the Seagate and try another drive.

Rich

5. TheCarsForever

Jan 19, 2019
    I normally would do that, but I have had the drive a while so I cannot return it now (was waiting for a good time to have the DVR down to do the cloning). I would hate to spend more money to get another drive if I can make use of this one and/or just need to get it replaced under warranty. Thanks again for the help!

Rich likes this.
  6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried this using a PC ? Does it work there ?

7. TheCarsForever

Jan 19, 2019
    Sorry again that my original post was not clear. The new drive is recognized in a PC and gParted sees it. I believe the drive is good but there may be a flaw that is preventing the DVR from initializing it where a PC may be more forgiving. I am leaning towards the drive being good and the DVR just not working well with it, but am hoping to hear from someone that has tried using the same series drive and either also had problems or that it worked for them.

jimmie57 likes this.
  8. TheCarsForever

Jan 19, 2019
    Well, uh-oh time. I have put the original drive back in again - third time today - and now I am getting the same cannot initialize the storage error I get with the new drive. I am wondering if there is something I may have bumped or gotten lose that is causing this infrequent issue. Any thoughts?

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, one I was gonna bring up but you seemed content with the 21. I'd dump that in a heartbeat and get a 24. Those Series 2 DVRs are awful. How many HRs do you have and do you have the 21 backed up by others?

Rich

10. TheCarsForever

Jan 19, 2019
    Single HR-21 in use (one additional that used to be in place but is now in storage). I have transmitters that let me share the single DVR through the house to the other three TVs so I don't need anything that requires the whole home package or additional DVRs. I have not had any issues with the HR-21 until today, when I was trying to be proactive which is of course when it has an issue. I have had no issue swapping the drive a number of times so am hopeful I just knocked something loose and will check more in the near future. I don't have the content elsewhere so my preference would be to use the HR-21 if possible.

Rich likes this.
  11. TheCarsForever

Jan 19, 2019
    I have to apologize as the old drive not working was 100% my issue - I didn't seat the SATA cable fully. Once I opened the DVR again and ensured it was attached firmly it has worked without issue for six restarts now. The new Seagate drive still doesn't work though so unless someone jumps into this thread to say they had a Seagate IronWolf drive work in the HR-2x DVR I am going to assume it is just one of those drive models that doesn't work. I will order another Western Digital Green to replace the current one in use and get the old drive cloned. Thanks to everyone for their attempts to help me out!

Rich likes this.
  12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would start from checking parameters of your working HDDs and the Seagate one.
    It would be interesting to see screenshots of General Tab by GSmartControl program

13. TheCarsForever

Jan 19, 2019
    It has been a little bit since I last posted, but wanted to pass along a quick update in case anyone else looks at this in the future due to having a similar issue. I gave up on the Seagate Ironwolf drive and purchased a new Western Digital Green 2 TB and it worked without an issue. I tend to replace/clone the HDD about every 18-24 months and the HR24 has not had any issues for years.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Planning to get 18-24 months out of a WD Green drive is a good plan.

Rich

15. mgavs

mgavs Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    I ran into this with HR20s years ago. The old DVRs only do SATA 2, all drives have been SATA 3 for years. The problem is that some drives don’t auto downshift to SATA 2 on the HR20/21 due to handshaking compatibility. I had about 10 drives to test, some failed immediately and some like in my case... consistently failed after a few hours. All tested and worked fine in macs and PCs. I found the WD Green drives best for the old stuff, I use WD purple now for HR24 and HR54.

Back in the old days there were a lot of SATA II and III compatibility issues. That’s why early SATA II and III drives had jumper pins for this. I had a dozen spare drives, a couple had jumpers, and sure enough, jumpered to the slower speed it worked in one of my HR20s, otherwise it failed. HR21 same problem. HR24 and above no problem.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sounds strange …
    perhaps checking logs would clarify … but who will do that ?

17. mgavs

mgavs Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Not really, see my edit above.