1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-21 Pro needs RBR nearly every day

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jumpytoad, Nov 12, 2008.

  1. jumpytoad

    jumpytoad Cool Member

    Mar 14, 2008
    Since the last two software updates my HR-21Pro has needed RBR nearly every day. The unit is kept in off/standby and only powered on when in use. It is connected to a wired network with the second back panel RJ-45 connection being used/shared by another device. It is controlled via RS-232 with a USB to RS-232 adapter (IO Gear). When it locks up and needs to be rest it is always reporting the last viewed channel as a four digit number such as 1010 or 9898. Unit will be no reponsive to IR, RS-232, or front panel controls. RBR always will fix it. I rarely use any of the network features and wonder if that part needs to be diconnected in order to eliminate the ethernet jacks as a contributing factor. Equipment is rack mounted and well ventilated. Only a single RG-6 with BBC from the dish is used and I only use a single tuner (1) no SWMS. I hope this is enough info.
  2. fjcastro

    fjcastro Mentor

    Jan 29, 2007
    Same thing happened with my HR-20. I had to reboot 3-4 times a day. I contacted D*TV and they shipped me a replacement HR-22 at no cost. They are also sending me an AM21 OTA tuner because the HR-22 does not have an OTA connection on the back of the box
  3. jodyguercio

    jodyguercio Active Member

    Aug 16, 2007
    Some have reported the network connection will be balky at times. Try unplugging it from the network and see if that helps with the daily RBR. If that clears it up, then you would need to redo your network setup I would think as something is going on there.
  4. Richierich

    Richierich Hall Of Fame

    Jan 10, 2008
    Your problem may be related to all the people who have had problems after the software upgrade. However, I know of several people who have experienced "Static Buildup" which can lead to problems such as yours. This has also happened on my phone system and when she told me to unplug everything for 5 minutes I laughed at her but did it and it worked.

    Unplug everything from it's Power Source and let it sit for 15 minutes so that the static electricity buildup can dissipate. Then plug everything back in and see if that works!!! Just a thought.

Share This Page