1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-21 wiped my external drive upon reset

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sknaster, May 24, 2009.

1. sknaster

sknaster New Member

May 24, 2009
    I have an HR-21 with an external PureData eSata 1Tb drive. I got the external drive more than a month ago and generally it works fine. Today while tuned to the MLB HD Mix channel, the receiver started acting strangely -- I couldn't tune to another channel, and the guide would only appear halfway. Power off-on didn't help, so I decided to red-button-reset.

When the receiver rebooted, I watched in horror as the screen said "Reformatting hard drive". When the reboot finished, sure enough, the external drive and all its programming and settings had been erased.

What happened? What did I do wrong and how can I avoid it in the future?

Thanks,
    S.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You didn't do anything wrong. It seems to be a glitch with external drives. A search here will find others that have had this happen.

This is one reason why I have yet to try an external drive. The other reason being that I don't really need one. :)

BTW, DirecTV doesn't fully support the external drive.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Never even heard of that brand of drive, definitely an offbrand. If the receiver upon rebooting finds corrupted data on the drive when it runs the initial checks, it will try to reformat. There's a good chance thats why you were having trouble in the 1st place. You might want to try connecting to your pc and run some drive checks on it, I'll bet you find bad sectors, meaning you need to RMA that drive.

4. sknaster

sknaster New Member

May 24, 2009
    Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, I had the brand name wrong. It's AcomData PureDrive, which is the drive recommended here on DBSTalk and elsewhere. And I don't know about the bad sectors theory, because the drive has worked fine for several weeks, and I don't believe the HR-21 had time to scan the whole drive while it was starting up.

Also, I'm aware that DirecTV doesn't support external drives. I just assumed it worked well enough to not fear for reformatting every time I rebooted! I really enjoy the extra space, but not if it gets blown away periodically.

Thanks again,
    S.

5. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It may not have scanned the whole drive, but checked the key areas that it needed to keep track of the playlist, todo list, etc. If it found errors that it couldn't fix, it will reformat the drive.

It may be a bad drive, it may be a problem with the cable or connection. It may also just be a glitch that won't return.

6. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    There are numerous threads about external drives. I believe if you read them the only one that will be consistently recommended by many posters is the Antec MX-1 enclosure with a Western Digital or Seagate drive. There are occasional posts about the AcomData drives. Most of them bad.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Never even heard of that eSATA and I do keep up with the eSATA threads, must have missed those posts. I lost a Cavalry that same way, hardly a shock considering the lack of quality in the Cavs. Shame, because they do work with all the HRs.

I wouldn't even consider an "out of the box" eSATA anymore. The Antec MX-1 enclosure is dependable and the Seagate or WD drives work flawlessly (well, you know...) in them. You buy some off the wall eSATA and how do you know what kind of drive it has? Is that a RAID eSATA? I gotta look that up.

Rich

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just looked at their website and they don't tell you what hard drives they use. Did a search on the forum and I really missed a lot of posts about them. Lots of problems reported, as you said.

Rich