HR-21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by scrybigtv, Sep 18, 2015.

1. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Question about my HR-21 HD DVR receiver. This receiver seems to be on the verge of pushing up daisies – but it's been like that for at least three years. It's at the point that I can't even change channels using the up-down arrow on the remote (the command simply won't take). I have to go into the guide, then hope I'll be able to get the channel number entered so I can push "select" and get the channel I want. Oftentimes, when I try to enter a three-digit channel number, only one or two of the numbers will actually enter. And the time it takes to get from one channel to another often can reach close to 60 seconds – the response is often that slow.

About the only good thing I can say about the receiver is that the DVR part has always worked great. I seem to remember dropping only one recording in the entire eight or so years I've owned the receiver. But even though the DVR works well, I find myself needing more tuners.

Anyway, would I be better off upgrading to a Genie? DirecTV keeps sending me emails saying I am eligible to upgrade to a Genie for free. Also, is a Genie the same as Whole Home DVR? As most of you can tell, I'm not very tech savvy. I operate only two TVs – both are HD – so I guess the right receiver would run both TVs, and would also allow me to record many more programs than my current setup.

Please advise.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Try this to see if it speeds up any. I have used this several times in the last couple of years and it works for me on my HR24.
    Search for CLEARMYBOX, then choose Keyword. Sit back and let it work.
    Don't do this if you are recording anything or about to in the next 15 minutes.
    Then give it 2 days for all the graphics and the Guide to fully repopulate.

The Genie will run a TV and 3 others at the same time with a Client at each TV. They cost $6.50 per month for each of them.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    A HR44 Genie will provide the following......200+ hrs of HD recording/800+ hrs of SD recording......Five tuners with PIP......1 terabyte hard drive......Genie Recommends......C31 and C41 clients are supported......Works with any DIRECTV remote in IR mode......Wired internet......Component, Composite, and HDMI outputs......RCA digital audio out......External, user-replaceable power supply......Internal WiFi......RF compatibility with RC71 remote......Optical Audio Out......Faster processor.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And if you do this, when it comes back, don't immediately go to the Playlist. If you decide to not follow this advice, don't panic. The recordings will come back.

What do you have for the second TV? Particularly if it's just you etc, a Genie and a client may be a good option. A client does take a tuner from the Genie when watching live tv, so there would be 4 tuners left on the genie to record things. When the client is not in use with live tv, the genie will have access to all 5 tuners.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yes, get the Genie HR44 or 54. Refuse the HR34. What's the model number of your other box. I asked, because it maybe better then the Mini they will offer you.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There can still be benefits to a client, even if he has an H24. Especially since you're not totally out with a hard drive failure. It all comes down to how they are used.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I agree, turn in your HR21 for a Genie. From there, as others have noted, what you do depends on both what other receiver you have for your second TV, as well as how you use your equipment.

A Genie with one client will support your two TVs, will allow you to watch two live programs, and still record up to 3 other programs (in addition to what you are watching, you can record those also if you want). The client is almost the same as using the Genie, you have access to all of the Genie menus, and most of it's functions.

But, if you want to maximize the number of simultaneous recordings, you can use a regular HD receiver along with your Genie, leaving all 5 Genie tuners available for local viewing and recording, and still watch recordings from the Genie on your HD receiver (and schedule programs to record on your Genie). But you don't have access to all of the Genie menus from a separate receiver like you do from a client.

The last option would be to get the Genie and use another DVR in conjunction with it. That would give you 7 recordable tuners total (5 on the genie and 2 on the DVR), and you can still watch recordings on either unit from the other via whole-home.

So you have choices/options available. Certainly go for a Genie (HR44 or HR54 as noted above), and decide what you want for your other TV location.

8. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Here's a tip for entering channel numbers in that old HR21: Press the INFO button and enter the numbers. For some reason, it seems to take better that way.

I have to agree with my colleagues above as well... The Genies (HR44 and up) are nice, responsive units. You should be pleased with those units.

9. stvcmty

stvcmty Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Baldwin MD
    [SIZE=medium]Do you own the receiver as in you paid a bunch up front so you could add and remove it from your account without commitments?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Is the receiver making any noises to make you think the hard drive is on the way out?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]If I owned a HR21 and it was dying, I would take a few steps to try and coax it back to life just to keep the flexibility being owned offers. I would open it, and give it good cleaning to get any dust, hair, pet fur, spider webs, or other dirt and grime out. I would check mechanical parts such as fans to make sure they were doing their job. I would then get a new SATA hard drive and see if a new hard drive speeds it up at all. A 2TB red drive is $90 which for me is not bad for an experiment.[/SIZE]

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And I'd get a genie and never look back. ;). Being owned vs being in a commitment for two years and probably being able to get some nice programming discounts when upgrading would be worth it in a heart beat.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If he's had the HR21 for 8 years, it may well be owned. That would be back about (or before) the time DirecTV went to the leasing model.

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Isn't it irrelevant whether his HR21 is owned or not? Directv isn't going to want it back, so there's no worry about opening it up. If you're so inclined to bother with what stvcmty suggests, it may get a new lease on life with a good cleaning and newer hard drive.

But a Genie is better, and faster, so all you have to lose is the extra $3/month it would add to your bill, and the new 24 month commitment it'll create. If you upgrade, they won't ask for the HR21 back, so you'd be able to hang on to it as a 'spare' you can activate and deactivate at will if you want to temporarily add a second receiver when you have family visiting or whatever.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Even if DirecTV doesn't want it, if it's leased, you still can't open it. I know the realities of the statement.

Though I agree, one of the big benefits of owned, being able to sell it, really doesn't mean much here.

14. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Well if they say to just junk it then open it and take the HDD out.

15. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks, guys for all the useful advice. I apologize for not following up sooner, but I had to leave the website right after making my initial post and I just now found time to revisit.

I'm sorry, but I misspoke when I used the word "owned" when discussing my HR-21. It's a leased receiver; I've only been "in possession" of it for 8-plus years.

As a temporary fix, I'll give the "clearmybox" suggestion a try. Hopefully that will help until I make a decision on upgrading to a Genie. Anyway, your responses have brought up a new list of questions, which you will hopefully be able to answer for me:

• When DirecTV emails me (multiple times) and tells me I'm eligible for a FREE Genie upgrade, do they actually mean free or is there really a charge (other than the monthly receiver lease)?

• When I call DTV to upgrade to a Genie, will I actually be able to demand an HR-44 or HR-54, or will they simply send me whatever they have handy? If an HR-34 is anything like my HR-21 (speedwise), I really don't want it.

• My second receiver is just an old standard def. receiver (can't remember the model number). But since the TV I have it connected to is a flatscreen plasma HD, could one option be to keep my HR-21 in service for my second TV? Would I not still have five tuners available? Please explain the advantages/disadvantages. And if I did choose to go with a client, am I correct in understanding that DTV will not ask for me to return my HR-21? It would be nice to have it on hand, so I could get it activated if my Genie should crash.

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to your responses.

16. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    When I upgraded to the HR44, there would have been no charge if I went with all wired clients (or kept my other boxes), but I wanted to replace one of my old boxes with a wireless client, and they charged $99 for that.

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It should be free, but only DIRECTV can tell you for sure

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You can demand what you want but DIRECTV can't specify specific models, you can of course declined the install if it does not meet your needs.

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If a tech is doing the upgrade, he will be taking the HR21, REGARDLESS of what DIRECTV says. The HR21 is not recoverable, but techs a REQUIRED to take the receivers regardless. If you tell DIRECTV you will be ADDING a receiver instead of swapping, you have better chances of keeping the HR21. You will of course be charge monthly until you deactivate the DVR with DIRECTV DIRECTLY

20. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    If a Genie install means simply disconnecting one DVR receiver and replacing it with another (same connections), I wouldn't need a tech; DTV could just send me the Genie and a client (if I decided to use a client). However, as I stated previously, my tech skills are lacking, and if the Genie install is different, I'd probably be lost. If I could do the install myself, it appears that I would be able to keep by HR-21 In any case, I still need to know: Would it be preferrable for me to keep my HR-21 (as a second receiver), or just go with a client instead?