1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-22 QUestions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dazed&confuzed, Nov 25, 2013.

1. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Current setup:
    Slimline 5 dish
    SWM-8
    1 R-22 in the living room with an AM-21 tuner
    1 R-22 in the family room with an AM21 tuner
    SD service

I enabled the the living room R-22 to show the HD channels and it is showing them. I can't receive them since I am only signed up for SD programing.
    Alhough I can receive the HBO and Showtime HD's when they have the free preview weekends so I know it works

Issue: On the family room R-22 I cannont select the "Show HD Channels" box in setup, it is grayed out.
    Any ideas as to why?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm wondering if there is a software difference.

3. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    Sounds like the unit is in SD mode.
    Press and hold exit see what the pop up says. if you went to SD or HD mode if you goto SD mode press and hold to get back to HD.
    Reprogram the satellite set up. even if it's right the unit thinks it's wrong. so it's not giving you the option for HD channels.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Make sure 1 of them isnt an R-22 as well.....

5. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    Good point I so totally forgot that a R22-xxx is a software locked HR22 so it looks the same but with out HD service active on the account it will not allow you to select the HD option in the menu's as it's officaly a SD unit in the system.
    Which btw means upon failure of it you will get a R22 if they have any other wise you will get a R16 back.

6. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Both of them say they are R-22-100's on the information screen.
    I wonder if one of these was used on an HD account before I bought them and thus was unlocked.
    I'll try the suggestions above and see, but they are coming next week and installing a R-44 so I guess we'll see what happens then.

I own these so upon failure I get to buy an new one or order a mini... :nono2:

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    So it sounds like you need to edit your OP....if they are truly R22's and not HR22-s. Are you in an MPEG4 market, or did you just find a pair of R22's that you use for SD?

8. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    Don't bother trying the suggestions till the HR44 is installed. they wont work on an R22 with out active HD service on the account.

Get the PP if you don't have it already own to own replacement on failure and free unit upgrade every 24 months of active PP service.
    it is 7.99 a month but it can easily cover it's own costs with a couple of tune ups a year. say at the start of winter and start of summer
    two service calls or tune ups in a year covers the cost of the PP being active on the account and if you have any other failures in the year it makes you money at that point.
    7.99*12=95.88 PP price
    49.99*2=99.98 service call price.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    R22 is more of an HR21.

10. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Tried this and the unit is in HD mode. Also tried reprograming the setup and it shows the slimline 5 dish and the SWM.
    Still no joy on the HD channels

Both are on 0x0740

I changed the OP, They are both R-22-100's
    I'm in Minneapolis (Is that Mpeg4?) I originally had and old oval 2 LNB dish with a multiswitch going to an R-15 and two old RCA units.
    The R-15 died, so after a bunch of reading on here, I decided I would find an owned R-22. (Everything I read said they would receive HD when I decided to upgrade)
    I decided to get a second one for downstairs but I only had a single wire run to that location. so I found a slimline 5 dish and installed it with a SWM8 so I could use both tuners on a single wire.
    I checked the signals on the upstairs R-22 and noticed it was now picking up the HD satellites. I changed the setting to "Show HD Channels" and that was when I noticed that the HD channels were showing up on the first R-22.
    I even called D** to try to activate HD but of course they said no. Imagine my suprise when I found out I could record HD movies from HBO and Showtime on their "Freeview Weekends"

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know if this was clear enough from other posts but you will only receive HD on your R22 if you have HD access on your account, and you can only get HD access on your account if you have an actual HD receiver. If you had an H25 and 2 R22s all of them would get HD.

12. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Hi Stuart,
    I've read a lot of your posts on other threads, very informative.
    They taught me a lot and helped me understand why things and get my system to where it is now.
    Thank you. :righton:

I realize I can't get HD Service until I have another receiver. I have a Genie coming to be installed so It's coming.
    I was just wondering about the diferences between what "seems" to be two identical receivers. .
    Since I can see the HD channels in the program listing (And I can watch the HD HBO and Showtime channels right now durring their "Freeview" event on one, but I can't on the other.)
    I always want to know why things do (Or don't) work.