DBSTalk Forum banner

HR 22 Receiver stutters and sometimes won't power up unless I unplug?

754 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  twotonetommy 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have been searching the web in various forums trying to pin point a solution to my problem. I use DirectTv and I have a HR22 PVR receiver. In the last two months my receiver has been sluggish when looking at menus and when watching recorded items. Often when I fast forward a recorded program the picture appears to go in Pause mode but its actually fast forwarding. Once I push play from fast forward, I then see that it has moved forward in the recording.

Occasional the screen freezes while watching live programming and we wait and eventually after waiting sometimes several minutes, it starts to play.

Now more recently when I power the receiver down and come back to it the next day, it won't power up. I try pushing the power button on the remote and the power button on the receiver. I end up pulling the power cord from the back of the receiver and then it does a full reboot and things start to work again.

I have performed a full diagnostics and it came up with nothing.

I have also done a scan of the hard drive and at first it came back with an error on the drive. Later I tried to do the same scan but came back with no error.

So my question is this, do you think it's a bad hard drive and would that explain ALL of my systems including the power issue.

I own my receiver and I am in a location where a tech could not come out easily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please don't say the receiver is dead and you need to get a new one. I am looking for a fix to my current receiver.

Thank you

See less See more
#4 ·
#5 ·
Since you said the hard drive came with erros, I would replace the HDDVR. Hard drive with errors is an indication of failing, and typically hard drive do not get better over time

#6 ·
jimmie57 said:
When you say you ran a test on the hard drive,
was it the one in the menu,
or was it the one found on here called the BIST ?
Go here and see post #2 : http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/205220-cant-stand-my-hr22-100-any-longer/page-1#entry3137047

Are your satellite signal strengths all good ? If they are it sounds like a Hard Drive going bad to me.
I tried both tests and the error came up when I did the basic test under "Settings & Help" - "Settings" - "Info and Test"

#7 ·
jimmie57 said:
When you say you ran a test on the hard drive,
was it the one in the menu,
or was it the one found on here called the BIST ?
Go here and see post #2 : http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/205220-cant-stand-my-hr22-100-any-longer/page-1#entry3137047

Are your satellite signal strengths all good ? If they are it sounds like a Hard Drive going bad to me.
Just about what I'd expect from a 22-100. Whether he wants to keep it or not, he'd be much better off with any of the 24s.

Rich

#8 ·
Update - I put a 2Tb Seagate Barracuda drive in on Saturday and everything is back to normal. All problems have vanished and my PVR has never been quicker. I just wanted to share this with those who have similar problems.

The original hard drive was a Western Digital 500 mb Green drive. Now I have four times the space. Love it.

The swap took me about 20 minutes to do since I carefully removed things as I went. Very easy to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.