1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-22

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Beckzilla, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    I have had a HR-22 for a month now and the other day it restarted all by itself for no reason. Please tell me this isn't another in a long line of DTV receivers that doesn't make the grade.

2. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It's not. One reboot does not a lemon make. My HR20 is much more stable than either of my HR10s, both of which I have to preventatively reboot daily to keep from losing more than 1 or 2 recordings a week. I've lost recordings on the HR20, but it's comparatively rare. 2 or 3 in over a year of heavy daily recording, which is about a 99.99% reliability rate, actually.

Many of us are spoiled by Tivo, which used to be rock solid (before v6.x). Without Tivo, we never really had a DVR that wasn't on the edge of failing all of the time. I guess my Replays were about the only thing that approached Tivo's level of reliability (too bad they never competed in the HD arena). These days, even Tivo is not all that solid. While none of them are perfect, the HR2x seems to be at least as reliable.

It's too bad Apple doesn't make a DVR. I never ever have to reboot my PowerBook. it runs for weeks without being shut down and still seems to handle everything I can throw at it. My nano has also been flawless for 2 years.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Is your DVR powered using an uninterruptable power supply (UPS)? A very brief power glitch can trigger a reboot, and a UPS will prevent that.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Welcome to the world of user developed *nix operating systems. Before BSD, the Mac wasn't nearly as stable.

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I hardly ever have reboots because I have an APC S15 or J15 Battery Backup/Line Conditioner/Automatic Voltage Regulation/Surge Protection, etc.

This is good for equipment and prevents momentary power glitches or outages which can trigger a sudden reboot. Also, spikes or sudden power outages are not good for a PC or DVR (which is basically a PC) and can cause severe damage to the Hard Drive.

Get a battery backup.

6. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    No UPS's on any of my boxes, and no reboots either. My local utility does a very, very good job with the power in our area. :)

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You are indeed very lucky to have such good power. I too live in a city that has very good & reliable power.

However, you can still get dirty power which can affect your Audio & Video, Automatic Voltage Regulation is better for electronics health, Surge & Spike Protection is good for hard drives.

Here is a great unit by APC.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=J15BLK

8. zx10guy

zx10guy AllStar

Nov 16, 2008
    I would also add a whole house surge protector into the mix along with point of use surge suppression.

9. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Lucky you. Here we have 80 year old houses with LCDs in all rooms, ACs, home theather and game systems all one one outlet. :nono:

10. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Don't need to lecture me, I'm a former spacecraft systems design engineer. :)

That said, my boxes have always been more stable than others, even during the bad old days two-plus years ago right after the HR20 was released and going a couple days without a lockup was considered a good run by most (after the box booted for the first time, the NR it downloaded was 0xE3 :D ). I've never had a UPS and have no plans to get one.

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Don't be so sensitive as No One is attempting to lecture you but we are just trying to help and offer advice that may help you. If you do not need help then don't post in this forum.

12. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I wasn't the one needing help; I was posting in response to someone else's comments.

People here (especially a lot of techies- of which I am definitely one!) preach the gospel of UPS's like they are absolutely required for the HR2x and all home theater equipment for that matter. They are NOT. That is why I posted.

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Not everyone may need battery backup if you never have momentary glitches but the need for Clean Power, Voltage Regulation and Surge Protection are good for everyone (and the health of their Electronics) regardless of whether you have momentary outages or not.

14. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007

Don't worry about the HR22. My 2 are rock solid. Could just be a "speed bump". Enjoy it

15. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    Yes it is.

16. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    I already have one being used for this purpose.

17. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    Already have one of these too...whole house surge protector that is. Connected right into the breaker panel.

18. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    I agree 100% here. Anybody that knows anything about electronics (30+ years of being a X-ray service technician) will agree that dirty power and unregulated incoming power are 2 of electronics's worst enemy.

19. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Look, I used to design life support equipment for the Space Station Freedom program (now known as the ISS). I know all about power conditioning specs and how important they can be. That isn't the point.

The point I am trying to make is that the HR2x units do not require a UPS for stability. As pointed out by people in several threads (one of which is active today as a matter of fact), as UPS batteries begin to fail, they can often be the source of problems. I've currently got 4 HR2x units (counting the R22) and two R15-500s, none of which are have ever been on a UPS and none of which are unstable at all. UPS units are not panaceas.

20. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    Maybe so, but any DVR (or PC) can benefit from a UPS. Under the right conditions, data being written to a DVR's drive can be corrupted with a power failure - after which all recordings may be gone from the drive.

It ain't rocket science .... closer to being common sense. :D