1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR 23/Tailgating Setup question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bohunkag, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Bohunkag

Bohunkag New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Last weekend, we took our new DirecTV setup to the Texas A&M game to tailgate. We've got an HR-23 receiver and a 5 LNB dish, and reside in the Waco/Temple/Bryan, TX DMA. We aligned the dish the way we used to with our single dish, and had a full signal on satellite 101. I didn't look at any of the other ones, because frankly, we didn't have to before and I didn't think about it until the next morning. I'm relatively technically unsavvy (compared to most folks on this forum) when it comes to the satellite setup.

We had all of the SD channels, but NOTHING in HD. I thought it might be two things....keep in mind, I know very little about this:

1) Do we need a multiplexer between the dish and the box? I wouldn't imagine so.
    2) Which satellite should I be looking for when we are aligning the dish? Maybe we just didn't have that particular satellite tuned it?

I don't imagine it's anything else. I was told the HR-23 did not need the B-band converter deal.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. bjohn34

bjohn34 Mentor

Sep 24, 2007
    http://ps.macleodweb.net/gc-au9s.pdf This link should help aiming it. Fine tuning it sounds tricky but just use you boxes' meter for the various satellites. A reading over 70 should be fine for the 99,101 and 103.

3. robn77

robn77 Mentor

Dec 7, 2006
    And it looks like your HD locals are on the 72.5.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa72.html

We tailgate frequently and the most important things to have is a level and compass... We have a tripod and once it is level and plumb, getting a good signal is pretty easy.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, those might be their SD locals. No HD channels are beamed from 72.5ยบ.

5. Bohunkag

Bohunkag New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Hey thanks for the responses. Yeah, I think we just need to fine tune our satellite. I'm pretty sure they took all the 72.5 channels off. We don't have our second dish at the house any more. Or if they haven't taken them off, it's just the SD locals at 72.5. I think tuning in 99 and 103 should do the trick reading that.

6. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    Our Tailgate gang tried using the Slimline 5 last season and it was "Hell" to align. We finally gave up and just used our Old Oval 3 LNB for TV. We are going to try the Slimline 3 this season.

7. Bohunkag

Bohunkag New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I was under the impression that with the new DirecTV boxes, you had to use the 5 LNB dish. Is this not correct?

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There is a new 3-LNB assembly, the Slimline 3, that receives the proper satellites (99, 101, 103) for HD. The old 3LNB received 101, 110 and 119.

You need either the Slimline 3, or the Slimline 5, for HD.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The Slimline 5 is arguably easier to align if you have LOS.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Which one you need depends on which slot your SD LIL channels come from. In the largest and smallest markets, the 3 LNB will work but in the medium sized markets the 5 LNB is required.

11. JDizzle

JDizzle Cool Member

Jan 9, 2007
    any suggestions on which channel to pick up first when setting up HD signals? 99 or 103?

12. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  13. athenslb57

athenslb57 Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I setup the 5-lnb every weekend and don't have any issues. I get 101 sat first then fine tune for 103 and 99. I'm usually at 95 on the 101 sat. I then tweak the elevation and tilt for 99 & 103 and get in the low to mid 80's. Its easy after you get it working the first time.

14. athenslb57

athenslb57 Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Yes, that's a must. If you don't have the mast plumb, go ahead and pack it up.

15. Bohunkag

Bohunkag New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    can you please translate what that means for idiots like me?

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The mount has to be perfectly level, so the mast can be perfectly vertical in all directions, it cant be cockeyed at all. Thats the most important step in the whole thing that some don't take serious enough.

17. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    You must start with a level and plumb mast to mount your dish to. Without that you have no hope of aligning your KaKu properly. Once you get your mast up, and your receiver ready for alignment, go to MENU>SETUP>SYSTEM SETUP>SATELLITE>REPEAT SATELLITE SETUP. Select your correct dish (Slimline5) and enter your zip code. Your receiver will give you the correct settings for your dish for that location, after that it's just a matter of sweeping the dish left and right (focusing on the 101 Satellite). Once you roughly peak on the 101, lock down the 3 bolts that attach the dish to the mast. and use the fine tuning adjuster to fine tune the 101. As long as your mast is plumb, and your settings are correct, you should have pretty close to optimum signal strength. At least enough to pick up your HD Channels in the 70's/80's.

18. Bohunkag

Bohunkag New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Thanks, that makes sense. Appreciate the tips.

19. Bathel

Bathel AllStar

Aug 18, 2007
    Bullsh*t... it's harder, but I've setup a slimline 5LNB dish many times using a ossilating fan stand with duct tape around the tube to make it thick enough to mount the dish on. Even on uneven ground it was a snap to shoot a good signal. I plumbed it by eye, and didn't take my time in doing that... I've hit a signal every time that would give me all the signal strenght I would need for local HD's and National HD's. Maybe I'm just one lucky dude, but I've never spent more than 5 minutes looking for a signal and no more than 5 minutes setting up the stand....

I've looked at buying a tripod, but they all look like cheap crap... does anyone have a recommendation on a good one?