1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR 24 Change To 18" Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by az99, Jun 17, 2011.

1. az99

az99 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I have an HR24-500 that uses a SWM dish. I would like to move it to an 18" dish aimed at 101º sat. I know I will lose HD. When I go into the menu, I can't change the satellite setup from the #17 it is on. It will only highlight the tuner and allow changes to single or dual. How do I change the satellite setup ? I am told I need #3. Do I need anything else to connect to just the 101º sat ?

If this is not possible, will I be able to view shows already recorded on the DVR without any satellite connection ?

Thanx for any help

2. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Have you already moved it to the 18" dish. That needs to happen before you can make any changes. You may also have to do a reset all and start it up like a fresh installlation.

3. az99

az99 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2010
    It is still on the SWM dish. I thought that it needed to be changed first since as soon as you plug it in it starts searching for sats.

4. az99

az99 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I got it by connecting the 18" dish. But could they possibly make it any more difficult and time consuming? Between checks and resets and reboots it takes 20 minutes to do a simple dish change. At least when you switch back to SWM it resets everything automatically except the dual tuner. Thanx Again

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yep, it is certainly not easy to switch back and forth. Of course in "normal" situations, you never change once it is set up, so from a design point of view, it really doesn't need to be easy to switch.

6. Relativity

Relativity AllStar

May 28, 2011

does this work by attaching the two wires to sat a and sat b?
    do you require any b-band converters ? or any additional hardware?

7. admdata

admdata Legend

Apr 22, 2011
    yes you have to connect the 2 coax wires to Sat 1 and Sat 2, no B-band converters are needed for SD. If you have a dish that is HD capable then you need b-band converters with the HR24.

If you are NOT using a SWIM setup