HR-24/Genie keep disconnecting from whole-home

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by lschwarcz, Sep 14, 2019.

1. lschwarcz

lschwarcz Mentor

Sep 1, 2006
    Hi everyone,

I thought I'd check here before investing hours of potentially wasted time calling DTV about this.

I have a Genie (HR-44) and three HR24's with the Whole-Home service. Recently I've been having issues with one or another DVR being disconnected from other DVRs. So far I haven't seen a set pattern so it's not one particular DVR going south. A reboot of the disconnected DVR will resolve the issue for a while but within a day or two another will disconnect.

The only common component between all of the DVRs that I'm aware of is the Connected Home Adapter. Is it common for these to fail with this symptom? Dropping DVRs at random?

Any ideas to try before I call DTV? As all of you know, calling them is a total crap-shoot. The person I get on the phone may be great and have the solution or I could end up with a novice who wants me to do a full reset of each DVR (loosing all recorded shows).

Thanks in advance!
    Larry.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When HRs start dropping off you might want to reset the whole MRV setup. Restart each HR one at a time, give the first HR enough time to reboot and come back up with a picture. Then restart the next HR and when that's finished rebooting and you have a picture, restart the next HR...and so forth until each one has rebooted. That might solve your problem. Usually works for me. You described your problem really well, this should work. When I had 12 HRs on MRV I did this weekly. Housekeeping is always a bit of a PITA, but it's worthwhile doing.

Rich

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Is the HR44 Connect using a lan cable or Wireless? or are you connected use a LAN Adapter (deca) to your Home network?

If your connected use a Deca Lan Connector - remove that and then connect your HR44 Direct to your lan hard wire or wireless.

After doing that -reboot (red button) each receiver

if that is not the issue What load is the HR44 Running?if it's ox1214 -Check youR WHOLE HOME status and see whic Receiver is dropping off -Reboot or re-connect it - I've had issue's the same with 1214 and it does drop but reconnects without doing anything most of the time

Rich likes this.
  4. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    I too have been having the same exact problems..... I also have an HR44 along with 3 Hr24s; the HR44 always seems to see the “whole home” but occasionally all the hr24s won’t see what’s in the hr44’s playlist. D* came out today and replaced the SWIM. The tech said he’s seen this happen with the older units. After he left, all worked fine for about an hour then I saw the message on the bedroom tv saying that the main DVR disconnected from the home network, and sure enough the playlist was incomplete again. Could this have something to do with my att gateway or is this referring to “the whole home” connection thing regardless the tech is returning tomorrow to replace the DECA.? I don’t remember ever having this happen other than a very rare “playback failed” message from mostly 1 bedroom but now this.....could it be related to the x1214 update?

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Could be related to an update. Not much you can do about that. Just reset all your HRs in sequence when you have problems. This has happened to me from time to time. Never figured out why.

Rich

6. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    Rich, thanks for the reply, was wondering about the AT&T gateway....would it be causing this? The D* tech came by this morning and was unable to recreate the problem, he doesn’t think it’s the gateway or the broadband DECA, but offered to keep the ticket open for a few more days. Very sporadically 1 of the 3 HR24s lost the genie and then got it back on its own nearly 10 minutes later. The others followed suit later but also came back, Confused!;)

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Try this: Reboot one HR. When that comes back up reboot the next HR. Keep doing that until all your HRs have been rebooted. Don't reboot two or three at a time. When I was running 12 HRs on MRV I had to do this once a week to keep as many on MRV as I could. 12 is way too many, BTW. You need to reboot all your HRs sequentially. Since you're having these problems you might want to do a CLEARMYBOX followed by a normal reboot on each HR. I know that takes twice as long but it seemed to serve me well.

Rich

8. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    Rich thanks again I’ll try your suggestions this coming week

Rich likes this.
  9. Oct 1, 2019 #9 of 14
    jc719

jc719 New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    I have had this exact problem for months. One HR44, one HR24. The HR24 loses the connection to the HR44 every day or two. Occasionally, it will happen while viewing a program recorded on the HR44 from the HR24, but usually it happens silently and the recordings on the HR44 are just missing from the HR24 playlist. The HR44 can see the HR24 programs and usually play them successfully. Restarting the HR24 always fixes it for a few days. A (possibly-related) symptom is when trying to play a program recorded on the HR24 from the HR44, I get a "playback failed" message. That particular program never seems viewable from the HR44, but works fine from the HR24. One other configuration note is that the HR44 is also connected to ethernet to get to the internet. This no separate DECA-Ethernet bridge. I called DTV a few months ago and the solution ended up with restarting the HR24.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Next time it happens try rebooting the 44 first and when the reboot is complete reboot the 24. You need to do this every time you see the 24 falling off the MRV. Might/should solve your problem, might not. Try it and let us know what happens.

Rich

11. jc719

jc719 New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    This time I followed your directions and rebooted the HR44, then after it completed, rebooted the HR24. The connection lasted about 14 hours and the HR24 again lost the connection to the HR44. I rebooted the HR44 and then checked the (un-rebooted) HR24 and the connection was back. I left it like that for now. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That should not happen. Not with only two HRs on an MRV system. Something is wrong. Might be the 24. I have a 24-200 that really annoys me. Drops off MRV for no reason, recordings start from the beginning no matter where you leave off in a recording. All kinds of problems and all I can think of to do is replace it. I know it's not the SSD I have on it. I've switched SSDs a couple times and the same problems keep popping up. I recorded a couple games on the internal HDD and saw the same issues (and video and audio glitches). I'm convinced it's the 24 itself and I don't feel like going thru the ordeal of replacing it. Simply put, sometimes it's the box and replacement is the best option.

How is MRV in your case set up? Did this just start happening or has it been going on for some time?

Rich

13. jc719

jc719 New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    It's probably been happening for ~6 months, maybe more. I called about 3 months ago and discovered that rebooting the HR24 would at least temporarily fix it so have been doing that since then every few days.

The configuration is pretty straightforward, I think. HR44-200, HR24-100, C51-100, WVB connected to DTV's zinwell 8 port (I think) switch. C41W connected wirelessly to WVB. The HR44 is connected to my LAN . The HR's have their original HDDs; no external disks.

14. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    What I suggest you try -is removing the Broadband deca & then restart the Hr44 and if possible Connect a Lan cable to the HR44 -If that NOT possible connect the HR44 to your wireless network -- See if that makes a Difference.

Rich likes this.