HR-24, HDMI and Component

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mikemyers, Mar 26, 2016.

1. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    I have an HR-24 DVR, and it is normally connected to a TV using the HDMI cable.

This question is for playback only, and for "ordinary" shows, not HD Movies, and other protected media.

Can the Component cables be connected to another device simultaneously as the HDMI cable is connected to my television? There is a thread here that suggests that this might work, as long as you're not viewing copy protected media, but also suggests doing a reset on the DVR when switching from HDMI to Component, or vice versa.

The goal is to use this with an Hauppauge HD PVR to save some documentaries and other shows that would be difficult to re-record.

The alternate way if the above is not acceptable is to remove the HDMI cable, connect to the HD PVR using the component cables, and then from the HD PVR to the television.

If I understand what I've already read in this forum correctly, as long as I'm not trying to copy HD movies, there should be no problem (because of "rights management"). I'm not.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Try it, let us know what you find. Worst case is you have to disconnect the hdmi, but I think if the hdmi device (tv) is on, it should work.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You might want to get a component splitter and a second set of component cables. This way you can play the program to the TV and the recorder at the same time and see what you are recording. The component cables give you up to 1080i output.
    Doing this also gets rid of all of the copy protection road blocks.

If you do this, remove the HDMI from the DVR to the TV.

4. Bradman

Bradman Mentor

Aug 8, 2011
    FWIW, the HR34 outputs component and HDMI simultaneously w/o issues.

5. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    I started to get things set up over the weekend. I think I have the HD PVR ready to connect, but I got to wondering about my installation CD, which is version 3.1, and probably came out before Windows 10. On the Hauppauge website, I found that all their latest support software is here:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hdpvr.html
    ...and I plan to call them to verify that it's all suitable for Windows 10 before attempting the install.

I will try things as suggested up above. If the HR-24 supports HDMI and Component output simultaneously, I'm all set. If not, I'll use Component only while copying. There are only maybe a dozen or show shows that would be hard to find again.

6. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    I have three HR24's and an HR44 that I use to output Component and HDMI from each simultaneously with no issues.

7. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Thanks for the update. I called Hauppauge and the downloadable version on their web site is all I'm supposed to need. It's downloaded and installed. I've just got to try to finish connecting all the cables.

Glad it worked for you. In that case, I should have no problems. I'll test it tomorrow.

The HD PVR has the full component outputs too. Presumably if I hook the output cables to my Sony, and select that component input, I can watch the show that is being recorded "live".

8. Apr 2, 2016 #8 of 11
    x88dually

x88dually New Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Dirty Jersey
    Mike,

What are the results ? Did it work with 2 outputs from hr24 ?
    I'm looking into doing the same thing.

9. Apr 3, 2016 #9 of 11
    mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    I did a test recording, and that worked fine. So, I copied a documentary about Hialeah Speedway, which was a one hour show, some of it in HD, and that worked fine as well! For my original purpose, making backup copies, it's just what i wanted. So yes, it worked to do what I wanted.

(I'm pretty sure it was just a coincidence, but my computer had a strange problem that night - I think I've tracked it down to a CD/DVD player/burner that went bad - the computer locked up, and wouldn't boot. According to the BIOS, there were no hard drives connected. Since using the CD drive seemed to be what started the problem, and because it started making strange sounds, I disconnected the SATA and power cables to it, which fixed the problem. I put in a new CD drive, and things are still working fine. I'll do some more work with the HD PVR over the next week - I'm pretty sure all will be fine, and this was just a coincidence.)

My goal was to make adequate copies of programs I had recorded on my HR-24. For that, the HD PVR is just as good as I hoped it would be. At some point I need to sort out the best way to play them back on my TV, rather than one of my computer monitors. The best i've thought up so far, is to take one of the two DVI video outputs from the computer, and find a converter to allow me to plug it into one of the HDMI inputs on the TV if that's possible.

10. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    There used to be numerous devices out there available for playback on a TV. Haven't searched lately, but there should be things to connect via network cable to your computer and have video/audio outputs on it.

A few years back I tried one made by Hauppauge, but at that time there were apparently a few bad manufacturing runs and I got a defective one.

I wound up with a WD LiveTV Hub and it's been great. It has built-in networking + its own internal 1TB hard drive and two USB ports for connecting more drives (also giving access of those drives to other devices and computer on the same network).

Unfortunately, I think that one's been discontinued but there should still be other things out there that are less cumbersome than trying to connect a computer directly to the TV.

11. x88dually

x88dually New Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Dirty Jersey
    So hdmi to tv, and component to pc. With no problems recording what was on your dvr ? Any mess ups in the recording at all ?
    I'm using Win7 or Win8 media center to send everything thru the network, and Universal media server streaming to androids.
    An guys, my directv mediashare works fine in my network on hr21, hr24's an hr34. If a movie cuts out from too high a bitrate, i
    re-encode movie with either avs video, divx converter and handbrake, to h264 high @5.1, framerate is set as source, vid biterate is 8500k.
    With aac 5.1 at 448 for an mp4. Somewhere @ 11k overall bite rate.Mediashare plays them w/o any issues.