1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-24 No Orange Recording Light

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Camborita, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Camborita

Camborita AllStar

Nov 9, 2009
    Has anyone had issues with their HR series DVR where the orange recording light doesn't come on? This has just started on my HR-24 within the last week or so (not sure exactly when). The unit records just fine, but there is no longer the orange light on the front to give me that warm fuzzy feeling that what I want to record, is being recorded.

I haven't tried a reset (yet), just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this before or if anyone thought this could be a sign of a larger problem with the unit.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this issue.

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Could be 2 possibilities:
    1. You may just need to RBR (red button reset). If this is the case, the light will come on after doing so the next time a recording starts as with normal operation.
    or
    2. The Led burnt out. If this is the case is not really a big deal---simply no recording light; not an indication of any sort of larger forthcomming problem....

3. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    I have seen the issue before on my HR24-200. It has come and gone with different software updates. When it was happening, I noticed that some recordings would trigger it and others wouldn't. Never could pinpoint the difference in recordings that triggered the light and ones that didn't.

4. Camborita

Camborita AllStar

Nov 9, 2009
    Yeah, I figured it was a weird glitch or like Yoda said, the LED is just dead. Hopefully the RBR will fix it. I'm in the middle of recording a whole bunch of Fringe episodes for my wife, so probably won't be able to reset until tomorrow.

Will report back if any changes, though.

Appreciate the input guys.

5. Camborita

Camborita AllStar

Nov 9, 2009
    Just to confirm, a menu reset fixed the issue, so looks like just a simple glitch. Time to get back to the football and leftovers!