1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-24 Panel Lights Suddenly Gone

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by frapnitz, May 4, 2012.

1. frapnitz

frapnitz Cool Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Just lost all lights on a HR24 front panel, to include the "blue-ring-of-activity."

However, DVR is working properly, both record and playback. I am concerned as I have a ton of stuff backed up and am afraid that this might be the precursor to a bigger problem.

I have 2 HR24 boxes, and the other is not affected, so it probably is NOT the latest upgrade (ox5c8), which both boxes have.

Any thoughts out there???

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Is your unit leased or owned?

If leased, you'll have to call for DirecTV service, if owned, you can open up the unit if you know how to do that safely.

Inside, there is a group of black wires bundled that connect to the front panel, of which one connects to the front panel LEDs. Probably it is just loose. While checking this is not complicated, it is also not a job for anyone not familiar with the interior of these devices, especially not for leased units.

If your DVR is leased...do not open the unit...it invalidates your warranty. It's better in that case to let the service tech address the issue.

3. thedamaja

thedamaja New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Did you try holding the left arrow on the front panel then press the right arrow?

Should have about 4 degrees of brightness if you press right multiple times.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think hdtvfan is right on this one. It sounds like it's not just the ring that is dark, but all front panel lights.

5. frapnitz

frapnitz Cool Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Thanx for the input......did a system reset, which I didn't have time to monitor this morning, and it seems to have resolved itself......once again.....thanx

6. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Really?

That's cool!

The front panel LEDs are connected internally through a single wire in terms of the illumination, so that was the first likely suspect....but I'm glad you resolved your issue.

7. Rabushka

Rabushka Legend

Dec 21, 2007
    Wow! I‘ve had an HR24 for months and never even realized it was supposed to have a blue light ring. I thought D* had abandoned it. The symbol on the left is the only front panel light. It works fine though. I think I’ll leave it alone!