1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR 2X transplant question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by miami, Jun 7, 2013.

1. miami

miami New Member

May 7, 2009
    My HR23-700 died recently. No lights or output, though when I hit the red reset, I can hear a (VERY faint) repeating chung-chung sound, with my ear pressed to the unit. It's not the 'graunch' sound I'm used to hearing from a bad hard drive, and the unit was hooked up to an uninterruptible power supply when it died.

DTV has sent me a replacement (I got another 23), but I haven't activated it yet. DTV CSR told me they did not need me to send back my old unit, and new one arrived w/o any return stuff.

There is one recording on the old unit I'd very much like to access - My mother was interviewed on TV after publishing her memoir. My siblings are not happy campers. (I explained this to CSR, this may be why they are not requiring me to return the old unit. I understand there's no getting the data off the old hard drive, but at least I could record the interview off the screen.)

So, I'd like to try a power supply swap in the old 23, if that's a plausible solution.

Can anyone tell me -

Does the faint sound on reset give any hint as to whether it's the power supply or not?
    If PS is a possibility, are the power supplies from any other HR models interchangeable in my HR23 - 21, 22, 24?
    Should I delay activating the new unit until I find out whether I can transplant a PS into the new one, or can I still use the new card in the old unit after it's activated in the new one?

Thanks a million for any help -- This forum has saved me many times, but a search found no help with this.
    Clay

2. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Two things that you might try are pulling the power plug for about 30 minutes then plug back in. May help or may not.

If you want to check the hard drive, plug in an esata and see if it powers up. When my daughter's HR20 wouldn't boot up, I plugged in an eSata external drive to prove to me that the hard drive was the problem. Her HR20 wouldn't boot up without the esata drive. It also made no noise when failing. This will only tell you the hard drive is bad and won't help with your recording.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My replacement had a red plastic enclosure on the box that said:

Return Documents Enclosed

Did your box have one ?
    If not, I would hang onto my dead one and check my bill each month for a few months to see if you got charged for it.

4. miami

miami New Member

May 7, 2009

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Clay, I hate to be a snake at your garden party, but that faint sound is probably the HDD searching for the boot sector.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the DVRs booting from flash ROM, so no need boot sector

now, when the old HR23 is your, you could check the drive pretty easy: open its cover, remove the drive, connect it to your desktop's free SATA port, try get SMART data by Victoria (it's free SW from Internet - see many posts here how to use it )

7. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    the HR23-700 is recoverable. I would hang on it - a recovery kit should generate once the ird is disconnected

8. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Depending on why it failed (no power?) there's an excellent chance it is non-recoverable.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    In 6 months or so... :rolling:

Rich

1 person likes this.