1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR 34 (genie) oversize problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jtstp17, Feb 28, 2013.

1. jtstp17

jtstp17 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2013
    I just recently converted from cable to DTV. I have Genie (HR34) and two receivers (C31).

The receivers have been working great. I can customize the resolutions, tv ratio, and formats just fine.
    However, on the HR34, I am having troubles changing resolutions, tv ratio, and formats.

I believe it is changing from 480 to 720 to 1080. I will have to check again to confirm.
    But the info banner that pops up after changning a channel (that has messages, info, cc, format, parental, PIP, etc) is oversized and it does not fit on the screen. Basically Messages is cut off on the left and PIP is not even shown as it cuts parental off on the right.

I have tried changing the format to original to scretch to crop but nothing happens.
    the tv says it is in full mode and it had no problems with cable before.

the thing that is odd is I can change the formats (crop, stretch, original, etc.) on the two receivers (c31) and you can see the difference as in you see the picture being stretched, or cropped, etc.

however on the genie (hr34) you dont see these changes at all. It is like it is stuck in stretch mode but wont let me change the formatting.

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Is your TV set at 16:9?

3. tazman

tazman Cool Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I have the same problem and was recently upgraded to Genie

4. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Find your tv remote. There should be a button that says aspect or format...press the button. Flat Screens have different aspect ratios, you need to cycle through them till you find the one thats correct.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Most modern TVs will adjust as necessary (assuming the appropriate mode is available).

To get you over the hump, try disabling native mode on the Genie and set the output mode to 1920x1080i.

Appendix 5 of the Genie manual talks about how to set up the video output modes.

6. Mar 1, 2013 #6 of 29
    jtstp17

jtstp17 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2013
    4:3 mode is off on the tv (it is a sony trinitron xbr)

1080i is set on genie as well as native off.

this is what is concerning me, nothing has changed from the tv settings when i went from cable to directv but directv looks zoomed in.

tv display setting says full mode. It will not let me change to anything else. I have tried turning 4:3 mode on and off to see if that would reset it and nothing.

this is bugging me :(

7. Mar 1, 2013 #7 of 29
    tazman

tazman Cool Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Ok, I said I was having the same issue and here is what I found on my Mitsubishi DLP

1)On the Direct STB I set only 720P/1080I/1080P. Directv does not broadcast 1080P on any channel except for PPV channels

2)I also turned Native off on the Directv box

3) Then I used the format button on my remote and wah lah viola.

4) It does nothing on 1080I but in 720 it will stretch / zoom/ ect...

8. Mar 1, 2013 #8 of 29
    samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    A Triniton was a nice tv back in the day. Its native format is 4:3. Get used to bars across the top and bottom of the screen.

9. Mar 5, 2013 #9 of 29
    jtstp17

jtstp17 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2013
    its not a 4:3 ratio tv though. it is much wider than it is taller. I will see what the official model number is once i get home.

Also I have never experienced bars unless it is a SD channel.

still cannot figure out how to fix the directv menu bar being oversized.

10. jtstp17

jtstp17 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2013

i am assuming you pressed format on the directv remote. also this fixed the directv menu bar being cut off?!

i have tried this on 1080i and formatting does not work so will try in 720....

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    What happens if you connect the Genie to one of the TVs that has a client?
    The menus being "over sized" may be over scan on the TV.
    My old Sony HD RPTV had a lot of over scan. My XBR has settings for full pixel, normal, -1, & -2. These are different than "full", which I also use.

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Sony offered several direct view Trinitron HDTVs up through the 2006 model year or so. There were widely known for their extreme weight (the 34" XBR970 weighed 190 pounds).

13. jtstp17

jtstp17 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2013
    The tv is sony KV-34xbr800. It is definitely a 16:9 tv ratio. The manual says the tv has an option to do formatting on SD programs. So I wonder if it is stuck on Full and hence the reason why the guide is oversized. I can't figure out how to change it to normal tho.

Also why change native to off on the genie, and clients?

14. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I am just curious,because I did not see this addressed in the thread. What cable are you connecting the HR34 to the TV and are you going through an A/V amplifier?

15. jtstp17

jtstp17 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2013
    it sounds like it might be an overscan.

How do i fix this?

16. jtstp17

jtstp17 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2013
    the HR34 is connect to the tv with component cables. Only the sound (component L/R) are going through the surround sound (amp). Hope that answers the question.

The manual of the tv states service menu and the position of the screen can be changed. Would this help overscan? Is that even the problem

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "If you're lucky" there is a setting in the Sony menu. If you're not so lucky, it's in the service menu and let a pro adjust this.

Here's what you'd see with no overscan:

Sony zero overscan.jpg

Here's what I get with my max overscan:

Sony max overscan.jpg

Here's when the Sony is set to zoom:

Sony Zoom.jpg

It's not uncommon for new customers to have this problem, as DirecTV uses as much of the screen space as they seem is reasonable. Other service provides don't use as much of the screen size, so this is why you may not have seen this before.

18. jtstp17

jtstp17 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2013
    thats exactly what mine looks like!! I have played around with every setting in the sony menu/remote and it is locked in full. i found more info in the manual of the tv and it says that once it is connected to a STB it is locked in full mode, so i cannot adjust the settings of that.

Who would i get to change the service settings? There are multiple guides online for that tv, should i follow that?

Also does this overscan only affect the guide or does it affect the picture as well? I really havent noticed the picture being a problem just the guide.

One more thing, why would this not show up on the cable box DVR menu and showed up on directv menu?!

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It's best to have a service tech go into the service menu.
    I'm "fairly technical" and spent way too long in the service menu of my RPTV before I got things the way I wanted.
    Some things in the menu can cause the TV to stop working.
    This RPTV only had the settings in the service menu, while my newer Sony XBR has them in the user's menu, so I could take screen shots for you.

Your TV has always been this way, but without a reference, you simply didn't know that you may be missing 10% or more of the image.

20. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is often useful to limit the number of parameters that you're dealing with when trying to diagnose a problem. Turning off native mode reduces the resolution possibilities from several to one.

The other motivation for turning off native mode is in the case where the scaling and video processing facilities in the TV are inferior to those of the receiver.