1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR 34 tuner issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dmgreene3263, Dec 12, 2012.

1. dmgreene3263

dmgreene3263 Cool Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Hello all
    Recently replaced a HR 24 with a 34...with the remaining setup
    SWM dish, 1x8 multiswitch, h24, hr21, and a r16. The hr34, could only see signal on tuners 3,4, and 5, so I quickly realized that I had overloaded the multiswitch,
    I redid the satellite set up on the HR21 and the r16 so they were only utilizing one tuner on each receiver...which by my math is 8 tuners but even with the changes the HR34 can only pick up signal on tuners 2,3,4,and 5 and I am still short one leaving a constant call 775 (I think) with a satellite dish upgrade required message. So my questions are:
    why did I only recover one tuner when I changed the satellite settings to one tuner on the hr21, and r16...?
    does it matter which port is used on the multiswitch ?
    would it better to get a swm 16 switch or replace the H24 with a C31?
    is there a work around with my current setup

Thanks in advance

DG

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The HR34 REQUIRES a SWiM setup, not a multiswitch.

3. dmgreene3263

dmgreene3263 Cool Member

Nov 11, 2011
    sorry it is a 8 way msplit8r1 SWM splitter, everything within the setup worked fine until the HR34 was hooked up, the system has Whole home activated and it has always worked flawlessly

4. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Try disconnecting sat-in on the R16, Hr21. Reset the SWM Power Inserter, When it is back up, reset the HR34, and the H21. Then connect the HR 21, power up, then connect the R16. That way, the HR34 gets all the channels it needs, first. If you have set the HR21 and the R16 to single tuner, there should be enough channel to go around. The HR 34 needs to get its channels first.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Power everything down.
    Power up the SWiM, then the 34 and wait for it to fully boot.
    How many tuners does it show?
    If all, move on to the others and let each boot.

6. dmgreene3263

dmgreene3263 Cool Member

Nov 11, 2011
    if the HR34 is the first booted up receiver all 5 tuners work, and whatever receiver is last to reboot will not see any signal....I am at a loss as to why I can only see 7 tuners...I have rebooted all equipment including the SWM, I have ruled out a faulty port on the swm switch...
    Thanks for the suggestions

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So the next thing would be to look at the SWM channels.
    Power up only one receiver and go into the signal strength screens and find the SWM.
    With only one receiver powered, you should see all 9 channels.
    What are the readings?

8. dmgreene3263

dmgreene3263 Cool Member

Nov 11, 2011
    with one receiver powered up I can see all 9 SWM channels in the range of 88-95...I have replaced the 1x8 spiltter, but I still cannot get all receivers to see a signal...I can only see 7 tuners...right now I have the hr34 utilizing 5 tuners, r16 is using one (according to the signal strength and sat setup), the h24 is using one and the HR21 is getting an error message of "upgrade dish" 775....whichever receiver is the last to boot up receives no signal and a error message...I do not want a swm 16 as I am not prepared to run 3 more wires and use a legacy HD LNB ...I cannot foresee any fix with the current set up...so I guess my options are:mount a 18" dish for the r16, replace the hr21 with a c31 or continue to unplug receivers that are not being watched....any other suggestions
    Kind Regards.....

9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You know the SWiM16 could be mounted outside so the four cables from the LNB to the SWiM16 can stay out there.

So now you're down to two more wires, one for the second port of the SWiM16 and one for power. That's only one more wire then you'd have to run if you installed a seperate dish for the R16.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So what does the HR21 show at this point under the SWM screen?

11. dmgreene3263

dmgreene3263 Cool Member

Nov 11, 2011
    the hr21 shows all zeros for signal strength and SWM channels....

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    On the SWM screen, #1 should show a level as it's the guide.
    #2-9 are for tuners, so this suggests all eight are being used.

I guess the next test/question is what does the H24 show right now, and then what would the HR21 show with the H24 pulled offline?

13. dmgreene3263

dmgreene3263 Cool Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Thank for the assistance with this project...I have tried to everything to locate the cause of the lost tuner...once I had messed with my wife's recorded shows I quickly realized my efforts were not worth the risk so I have ordered a SWM 16 switch...I assume that will take care of the issue for good
    Thanks Again....
    DG

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    A SWiM-16 will give you the needed channels.
    From what you've posted so far, the SWiM you have is working correctly, and even though you've tried to change to single tuner mode, one of them is still in dual tuner mode.

15. dmgreene3263

dmgreene3263 Cool Member

Nov 11, 2011
    I would have to agree, there is no indication from either PVR (in the set up or signal strength) that two tuners are allocated to that receiver and even if I could determine which receiver is still in dual mode (which I suppose I could if I booted them up without any other receivers turned on)...it does not get me any closer to a working system...nor can I eliminate any viewing centers as I have three children...but regardless I am appreciative of the support that I received from this forum...Thanks V.O.S....enjoy your weekend

16. dmgreene3263

dmgreene3263 Cool Member

Nov 11, 2011
    correction...I ended up buying a C31 instead of the switch, I am assuming that this will take care of the problem...I am going to replace the hr21...