HR-54 Keeps Repeating Purple Screen Reboot Sequence

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by chasfh, Oct 19, 2020.

1. chasfh

chasfh New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    I have had my HR-54 for a few years now, nary a problem with it.

Just yesterday, I pressed the red button on the side to reboot. It shows me three purple screens:
    First it says, “Hello Your DirecTV receiver is starting up”; then “Almost there, a few more seconds please” while showing a progress bar; then “Just a few more seconds...”, which lasts about one to two minutes; then it starts over again. This repeats interminably.

First time this happened, I unplugged the power from the box and let it sit for a couple minutes, then plugged it back in, and it worked fine. After that, nothing has helped. Not the red button, not unplugging the cord from the box, not unplugging the power from the wall, not letting the box sit without power overnight—nothing. The same purple screen sequence just keeps repeating.

In a similar thread where someone posted a similar problem, a reply suggested pressing “Select” to interrupt the sequence and follow the prompts for a BIST self-test. That doesn’t work here. Nothing I have tried interrupts it so far.

Does anyone recognize this and have any suggestions?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The correct way to perform a BiST is to reset your HR54. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BiST menu. Follow the prompts.

3. chasfh

chasfh New Member

Nov 1, 2010

4. chasfh

chasfh New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    For good measure, I just tried again, pressing and releasing Select during the "Just a few more seconds..." screen. Nothing. I tried holding Select down for a few seconds during the screen. Nothing. When it repeated the sequence, I tried pressing Select at every other point in the process, and twice again at the "Just a few more seconds..." screen. Nothing.

Nothing worked.

Anything else I can try?

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call for a replacement.

Rich likes this.
  6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's about timing when you press the SELECT button. You can also press SELECT on your DIRECTV remote when you see" Running receiver self-check" to bring up the BiST menu. Give that a try. If it fails your HR54 needs to be replaced.

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Time to call DirecTV and request a replacement DVR. It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan. Otherwise $20 shipping.

8. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    and when you call in for a replacement make sure to tell them to drop ship it via fedex. as the idiot that was shipped mine had me set up for a brand new install:eek:. most of the CSR'S have rocks for brains at best one hand don't know what the other hands doing:confused: