HR10-250 Splitting HDMI connection to two high definition monitors

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lls4mtm, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lls4mtm

lls4mtm New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    What cables, adapters, distribution amps, etc exist to spilt the HD signal from the HR10-250 to more than one monitor? In particular, I'm trying to get HD signal from the DVR to a Panasonic plasma equipped with HDMI (already working with direct connection to this device). However, I want to at the same time get HD signal to a Toshiba HD RPT equipped with component inputs. As we all know, you can't use both comp and HDMI outputs at the same time on the HR10. Question: How to split the HD signal coming out of the HR10s HDMI output to feed HDMI on one end and component at the same time with HD signal. Thanks much.

2. DaveP

DaveP Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 8, 2003
    I can't imagine that would be possible... I believe HDMI is a bi-directional communication, particularly when HDCP is brought into the mix. The receiver needs to be able to authenticate the device (TV) on the other end of the cable to be sure it's not a recording device.

That said, there was a thread on one of the forums a few days ago that implied that the component video ports on the hd-tivo are only disabled when the HDMI port is in USE, not just when it's physically plugged in. If your HDMI display stops communicating on the HDMI line when it's turned off, your component jacks may once again become active. This won't help you though if you want to use both displays simultaneously, or if your HDMI TV continues chatting on the HDMI port even when it's "off"

Disclaimer: I have not actually tried any of this - I'm just summarizing what I've read elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.