1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr10 250 won't dial out

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kiddk1, Feb 21, 2012.

1. kiddk1

kiddk1 AllStar

Oct 17, 2003
    My DVR will not record until it makes a phone call and it keeps failing at the negotiating stage any suggestions?

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    That's a pretty old box you have there. Other than checking your phone line with a handset, I don't know what else you could do. It might be time to upgrade to an MPEG4 HD box.

You have your choice now of DIRECTV's HR series or their TiVo flavored unit.

3. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The HR10-250 needs to make a phone call occasionally to see if there is any Outstanding PPV Bills that you haven't paid for.

That is one way that Directv gets your PPV Billing Info.

You really need to Upgrade to an HR24 or HR34 preferably an HR24-500. :)

4. kiddk1

kiddk1 AllStar

Oct 17, 2003
    The problem is my sister in law uses this receiver she has dexteriy issues and the peanut remote is better for her

5. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    If that is the case maybe upgrade to the THR22-100, that is the newest DIRECTiVo and it will receive all of the HD channels that DIRECTV offers.

6. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
  7. Heynonny

Heynonny Mentor

Jul 11, 2009
    It's been quite a number of years since I've even _seen_ an unhacked HR10-250, but doesn't the plain vanilla version also have an option to use an ethernet connection instead of the phone line?

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Do they even have an Ethernet jack?

9. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You really need to Upgrade to a more modern Directv Remote such as an HR24-500 if you have an HD Capable Display Device.

Your sister-in-law can learn to adapt as it ain't that hard because I did it. :)

10. Heynonny

Heynonny Mentor

Jul 11, 2009
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't tuned into the environment here. I've always thought the USB-to-ethernet adapter for the HR10-250 was a given. You are correct, probably most users (here anyway) don't have one.

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I believe it does indeed have an Ethernet Jack as I had mine transformed by PTVNET so I could access it via my PC to monitor things such as Internal Temperature, Total Space and Space Available.

I will have to check mine that is in the Attic.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I found some pictures of one on Solid Signal, no Ethernet. Wondering of some did and some didn't.

13. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    "Not dialing out" by itself is not the problem. I still use a HR10-250 and it hasn't dialed out for some 1295 days, or so it tells me. There was a good reason; I did not want Tivo's broken-on-delivery v6.x up rev (its still on v3.1.5) and so I pulled the phone plug preventing that about 4 years ago. Now there is an even better reason, which is that I haven't had a landline for some time.

It still records faithfully, and is still more reliable than even the new HD DVRs, in my experience, but it is relegated to OTA HD recordings and its 450 GB of HDDs can only hold 83 hours of HD MPEG-2 content. But it still does certain things far more elegantly than the HR2x series ever has.

But then again it never has been used for PPV. That might be the clue. If you have an outstanding charge that needs clearing up, once cleared up your's might begin to work again; I just would not count on that being anything more than a last-ditch effort.

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Maybe the TiVo Community forum can help.

Or get a universal remote that is shaped similar to the peanut remote for use with the newer DirecTV DVRs.
    Like this one.

15. kiddk1

kiddk1 AllStar

Oct 17, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions, the unit was off for a while which is why i have to have it dial out, she cannot adapt to the new remote as she gets severe headaches from the way her hands handle the newer remotes, i will look into a universal peanut option if that is my last resort, i just cannot figure out whynit wont dial out:confused:

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    One option would be to see if DIRECTV can send you a remote from the THR22. They will operate any DIRECTV receiver.

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    excellent idea & suggestion!!! :d

18. Heynonny

Heynonny Mentor

Jul 11, 2009
    I support 6.4a for a bunch of local users who like the HR10-250. Could you summarize the attraction of 3.1.5? I remember I stayed with it for a very long time and I can't even remember why I moved on; I think it may have been the "recently deleted" folder because lots of users (older folks) were unintentionally deleting and wouldn't use TivoWeb so they couldn't undelete.

19. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Do you have voice mail on your land line?

The alert for mail is a stutter dial tone. Most older model Directv receivers cant dial out until you clear the messages and the tone returns to normal.

If you have it and don't use it you can turn it off and never be bothered again.

20. kiddk1

kiddk1 AllStar

Oct 17, 2003
    Yes i do, thanks for that. It dials out, it fails at the negotiating process.