1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR10-250

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cheapskate, Jan 10, 2010.

1. cheapskate

cheapskate New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    I'm looking at purchasing a used DirecTV HD DVR receiver off of Ebay. It seems that the ancient HR10-250's seem to be all over and pretty cheap. If I call DirecTV and make sure there is no balance is there any reason not to purchase one if it saves me over $100?

2. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    That is old technology, that soon will not be supported whatsoever. It is not even capable of receiving the majority of HD programming...

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Actually, there are a handful of MPEG-2 HD channels left in the 70's. Once those go away though (and they will), the HR10-250 will not be able to receive any HD channels, except for HD OTA.

- Merg

4. wall-e

wall-e AllStar

Jul 19, 2009
    Other than not being able to receive HD, what else is no longer going to be supported on the hr10-250? I have one currently connected to a SDtv and every seems to be running fine.

5. cheapskate

cheapskate New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    thanks guys

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    The HR10-250 is still a good receiver if you know the limitations. If you record lots of OTA the HR10-250 is fine.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    One thing to take into consideration is that I don't believe any of these units were produced on or after 2006 or thereabouts. So that means unless it's never been activated and used, it's been in use for 3 or more years. I deactivated mine last Spring after it had run since August 05 because it would reboot almost daily. Since power cycle would knock out the 30 sec. skip, it was easy to tell when it happened, that and partial recordings were a tell-tale sign. Part of the reason I took it off-line was it couldn't pick up the new HD channels and part was that I didn't want to invest in a replacement IDE hard drive, but that was partly due to the first reason.

8. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    Others have documented the pluses and minuses of buying a used HR10-250 but one point that can be overlooked is that you would own the unit outright. Given that if you add the protection plan when you activate it, when it dies (and it will) the replacement box would also be owned. That replacement would also be able to receive all the current channels. A "new" unit for the cost of a used HR10 is a deal any good "cheapskate would love:D:lol:

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I had that issue on a couple '250's myself, but I did a "clear all program settings" (?), or whatever the option just above and less severe than a full "clear and delete everything" option does (and just below the option to clear thumbs ratings), which basically resets everything back to zero yet keeps all recordings. This has seemed to all but cure the reboots on both '250's. I have had one reboot in the last 6 months, which is two less than I have had with my HR2x's, so I still use the '250's for OTA and the '2x's for everything else.

I love happy endings! :)

10. coacho

coacho Legend

Aug 21, 2007
    My HR10-250s are the preferred DVRs for ESPN and OTA sports and I would not be without one. However, I would only purchase the HR10-250 as a complement to the HR2x series since the differences have become slight even to long time tivo users.

11. GordonT

GordonT Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would ask this question here. My HR10 has started running a bit hot and I was thinking about trying one of those laptop chiller pads. Can the USB port on the HR10 be used to power a chiller pad?

12. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    I happened to notice while searching ebay for used HR2X's that the HR10-250's have a pretty wide price swing. You see some selling for $30-40 and others for $80-125.

Interesting.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Some might have upgraded or recently replaced HD's in them...since the HR10's are getting very old, one you do get you'll probably want to replace the HD b4 using if thats the case, HD's are only reliable for 4-5 years on avg.