HR20-100 becoming very noisy

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Lefky, Nov 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Lefky

Lefky AllStar

Jun 22, 2007
    My HR20-100 has become very noisy. I am not sure if it is the fan or the disk. I have rebooted and left it unplugged but the sound comes back every time. I think it might be time to get a replacement, but I do not want to loose the hours of shows I have not watched yet. I do not think there is a way to save my shows, but I figured if there was, someone here would know. So am I out of luck?

2. Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    I can't promise your are having the same issue but you may be. I have had this problem on-and-off since I got mine in 2006, and its seasonal -- happens way ore in the colder months.

At first I thought it was a loud fan noise. But what it turned out to be is the vibration on the case itself. You can tell if that is it by testing it. When you are having the noise, push the case somewhere on the side with your finger. If the noise temporarily goes away, you have the same issue.

I have never found a permanent solution for this annoyance. If I physically move the box (push it slightly forward or backward on its stand) it goes away for a little while but not long. At one point I put small peices of cardboard under each foot of the case and that did it for a while but then it eventually started again...

3. pman_jim

pman_jim Legend

Jan 24, 2007
    I've had issues with case/vibration noise for a while with my HR20-100 and managed to silence it pretty well. It does seem to be the case vibrating, and I've managed to fix it by putting some tissues/paper towels in different spots on the case. The one that really worked well was sticking tissues in the door next to the card, actually pushing the card down a little. It takes a little patience to clear all the sounds, but I've managed to silence it enough that the wife can sleep soundly with it in the bedroom.

4. chksmithcis

chksmithcis New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    I have a buzzy HR20-700 that I can get the vibration to stop if I rotate the unit 45 to 60 degrees from the R10 that it is sitting on. It is definitely the case. Just a small amount of pressure on the case gets the buzzing to stop.

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Got the same sporadic buzzing also. Just touch the case ad it goes away. I have noticed the HD getting louder also.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've found that some wadded up tissue put under the feet helps sometime, and sometimes a little bit of tissue GENTLY wedged in to keep the access card from vibrating can help as well.

7. WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    My HR20-100 has had the same buzzing noise since I got it. I (almost) completely resolved it by placing a small square of thin cardboard between the top panel and front panels, kinda wedged in the seam. If/when it starts buzzing again, I just move the cardboard a little bit, and it's gone again. Kinda annoying, though.