1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-100 OTA reception

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Scott in FL, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    I have an HR20-100 with the built in OTA tuner which I use to receive my locals. About a month ago our CBS affiliate, WINK-TV, changed from channel 9 to channel 50. I did a rescan, and all was well... for about a week. I lost WINK and had to rescan again, and all was well... for about a week.

Could the OTA guide received off the satellite have the old channel information, and my reciver keeps "correcting" the channel? Is this something I'll have to live with until the data base is updated?

Thanks.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Not sure what you mean by "re-scan". The HR20 does not "scan". It's channels are determined by DirecTV's channel database for your zip code.

Try this ....

Reset Off Air Settings:
    Menu > System Setup > Sat & Ant > Antenna Setup > Reset Settings
    Menu > System Setup > Sat & Ant > Antenna Setup > Initial Setup
    Be sure to re-enter the zip code, even if it's the same.

3. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    I believe the HR20-100 does "scan." When I choose Reset Settings, I get a warning that this will clear your "scanned off air channels."

So I've repeated the procedure yet again and now have WINK back. I'll see how long it lasts this time. My guess is the guide information on the satellite still has WINK's old RF channel, and it will revert in 24 hours or so.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    No, the HR20 DVR does NOT scan. The H20 receiver does....

5. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Well, I don't know what's going on. According to this warning screen it does look like the HR20-100 scans, and this might explain why I'm losing WINK after a day or two.

Attached Files:

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Neither of the HR20's will actually scan for OTA channels..never have. It "scans" a database based on the zip code(s) you enter in during the OTA setup routine, but they will not add any other channels that it might find during a scan like most tvs can do.

7. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009

The way you can tell if it scans is to see if the guide shows the actual words: "Regular Programming" rather than actual programming titles for any OTA channel. If it found a channel through scanning but is not in it's database that's how it will show up. The HR34 scans w/AM21 and that is how a number of NYC sub-channels show up in my guide that do not show up at all in my HR24 w/AM21's that do not scan. Of course if all the found channels are in the database that won't prove anything.

8. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    My guide shows neither "Regular Programming" nor "Actual Programming" for my OTA channels. It just shows the channel number, program title, and info.

Thanks everyone. I'll see how it goes over the next few days with WINK, my local CBS station (although now that football is over, and 'Two and a Half Men' isn't what it used to be, I don't mind that much). :lol:

9. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I meant the actual words "REGULAR PROGRAMMING" not your regular programming titles. :) But since yours has the actual listings it doesn't help. :)