HR20-100C-R

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Red Orc, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    I searched and couldn't find any information on this DVR. I got it for free but I had to renew my contract for another 2 years.
    I don't know what the model # was but the installers originally tried to stick me with an extremely ugly white DVR but the white one kept shorting stuff out (Two broadband deckers and I think two power injectors burned out before they gave up and switched to the HR20-100C-R)
    How good is the DVR I wound up with? Was I right to be happy when the ugly white DVR wouldn't work right?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  3. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Sorry I checked the sticker by the reset button & the DVR I have is the HR21-700 and the HR20-100C-R was the ugly white one they were originally going to install. The installers left the wrong box.
    I remember one of the installers said the HR21-700 was better but I don't remember in what way.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is "better" in that it is easier for them to install. In most other ways the HR21 is inferior to the HR20 with no OTA tuners and less powerful CPU.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So what you're calling "white" is really silver to everyone else.
    Many have their own idea of what is "better" [than another].

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Says the resident expert, who has NEVER had DirecTV". ;)

7. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    I don't care about the OTA tuner but that less powerful CPU sounds bad. I was wondering why this DVR was so much slower than the SD DVR it replaced.

It looked white to me but to be honest they were having so much trouble getting it to work I spent more time watching them going nuts replacing hardware & troubleshooting than I did looking at the DVR. I just remember that it was a light color and (in my opinion) ugly as dog turds on a brand new white carpet.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Do you dispute what I offered?

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Cost reduction.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You can't really compare an SD MPEG-2 receiver to an HD MPEG-4, as the latter has to do a lot more processing.
    :lol: yeah, the HR20-100 has been a bit more trouble to get DECA working.
    I've had both the HR20 & HR21, side by side, and while the HR21-23s are a bit slower, [going the other way] the HR20s aren't that much faster, where the H/HR24s ARE faster.
    You should see a software update coming out this fall that should help, as it's being optimized to speed up the receivers.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Having had both, the speed difference is minimal and has been on the order of about 0.5 to 1 second longer.
    So, while I may not "dispute" your post, I sure as hell will the magnitude of the differences.

12. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    My parents went back to Direct TV the same day I dis & they got at least one HR24. I played with it a little and it seems to be a lot faster than my HR21.

13. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    I was starting to think that they weren't gonna be able to get it to work!
    They had two broadband deckers (?) burn out ,two LNB's burned out and some other doodads (power injecters?) they were trying to connect to the HR20 burned out at least twice.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That makes me wonder if there is an issue with clean power where you have the power inserter plugged in.

15. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    Shouldn't be. I don't recall anything else plugged into that outlet acting squirrelly and I'm pretty sure the wiring to that outlet is new.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds [to me] more like they didn't have a clue what they were really doing.
    The BB DECAs should never have seen any voltage to "burn out". The SWiM LNBs handle the voltage from either the 21 or 29 volt PIs.
    The HR20 can't output more than 20 volts.

17. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
    I certainly hope that wasn't the case. One was a senior technician and the other was a trainee. It would really suck if this poor guy was being trained by somebody who didn't know what he was doing.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I have no idea of who these people were, but you wouldn't believe what has been posted here when installers were trying to get this to work.
    The training [or lack of it] doesn't go into "how it works", but what to install, and some simply get mixed up.
    The HR20-100 is the only one requiring a special setup, yet some think either "all silver ones" need this, or simply don't work with DECA [which are the H20s].
    A poor analogy would be: they simply give them fish and don't teach them how to fish for themselves.

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    What a coincidence! Just yesterday I was looking at a house and noticed a silvery DIRECTV box, similar to my HR20-700, but different enough to catch my curiosity. The sticker said only "HR20". Would that have been the -100?

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I would say "all HR20s [-100 & -700] are silver", which used to be marked as HR20-700S or HR20-100S, "but" the very first run of the HR20-100 came in black [very rare].