HR20-100s power supply issue?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by codespy, May 28, 2018.

1. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Yes, I still have a HR20-100s, and worked flawlessly for 10+ years. It's been my son's machine for a long time, and he has multiple hard drives of content recorded on it. eSata was not used since these have been non-recoverable for a long time, but it has built in OTA. I'm asking in advance....please don't laugh. :)

It now does not power up, except for the blue power light that flashes. Nothing shows up on the TV screen whatsoever. I'm narrowing down the issue to a bad power supply, but I could be wrong. I'm trying to decipher if it's the power supply or motherboard issue so I need a little assistance....

Every troubleshooting item I tried, I unplugged DVR for 10 seconds then plugged back in.....

-I hooked up a Thermal Take external dock, same blue light flashing result.

-I took the eSata and power supply cables off the stock drive and tried to power another working hard drive- same result.

-I powered up hard drive from a different power source while leaving eSate connected, same result.

-I don't have a spare HR20-100 power supply, but I have 13 other power supplies for other different models (Murphy's Law), so that doesn't help me!

-I've searched threads back around 2006 to present but cannot fine the specific answers, so hence my post.

I'm hoping it is only power supply and not motherboard. I could easily replace it with one of my spare, owned, HR24's sitting on the shelf, but then he loses 4 big hard drives of content. I'm looking for assistance, and also if someone might have a power supply for one of these laying around that I could purchase. Thanks!

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    please describe in details

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it will help if the PS does provide same set of voltage rails and max current is not less then original PS

4. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Maybe try buying an low priced old HR20 off ebay for the power supply and other parts

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ

I've replaced a couple power supplies and the HRs came right up. But you say you see a blue power light that flashes. What bothers me is I don't think you would see ANY blue lights on the front panel if the PS was shot. I didn't see lights on the HRs that I fixed. I thought that not seeing any front panel lights was the biggest indication that the PS is bad. But it's worth a try, stick another PS in and see what happens. I don't see what else you can do, trying to replace the motherboard...I don't think that will work.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How would you expect a "normal" person to answer that? Without very specific instructions? Got specs on a viable power supply you could share...?

Rich

mjfoxtrot likes this.
  7. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    That was my one concern Rich....me hoping it's just a power supply, but the blue power light does flash slowly. The center blue circle light flashes on once, for about 2 seconds, but doesn't 'spin' and stay illuminated like during normal startup. The '720p' resolution indicator comes on with the center circle, but shuts off at the same time the circle does. The blue power light continues to flash slowly.

The fuse is not blown on the PS, but I also cannot hear the hard drive power up when I plug in the power cord to the DVR. I do not get a "welcome powering up" screen, in fact, no screen from the DVR at all- TV is blank. I tried another eSata cable, that didn't help. I tried another hard drive- power connected to another source, but eSata cable connected to the HR20-100s motherboard, no success. I checked all of Earl's and others posts from 10+ years ago on this, nothing I saw addresses my issue, other than people saying replace the whole thing.

Replacing the motherboard voids all the recorded content on the spare hard drives due to the RID number, and I probably would get a x711 error by replacing it, since it's likely a leased/deactivated MB. I have power supplies for virtually every other DirecTV DVR except for the HR20-100s, so I may have to find a limited supply PS on eBay and take a shot. There's programming on the hard drives going back to 2007, many things of which are not replayed anymore and hard to find.......

8. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I've been an Electrician for 30 years now, with some electronics knowledge. I wouldn't know how to start either, and I know a little something about volts and amps, and own a Fluke multimeter.... :)

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that's you first mandatory step - measure voltages at PS PCB connector, usually there are silk print with nominal values

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That's a waste of time. He can buy a used HR20-100 or maybe even just a power supply for it and give that a try without wasting time trying to diagnose it when he clearly lacks the experience to do so - otherwise he would have already done so.

There are only two replaceable items on that DVR, the power supply and a daughtercard that contains the tuner. He can try swapping those, if it doesn't work then he's SOL on the content on that hard drive unless he knows an EE willing to spend hours checking every capacitor and microsolder joint on the main board.

Rich likes this.
  11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sure, it will be his decision ...
    seen mentioned his experience and owning [expensive] multi-meter, I was under impression his willing to get hands dirty
    as for real outcome, I'll bet the STB, power PCB is OK, it would easy-peasy test to check 5-6 rails regardless our old standing debates: EE vs ordinary member :)
    I hope he is made from same clay as we're, EEs !

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I purchased an HR on eBay just for the power supply, seemed like the easiest way to get the proper PS. Not sure if you can mix and match. I've never had a 20-100 apart, never had one that worked long enough to modify it (I own all my HRs). But I'd certainly try to save the 20-100 for the recordings. Can't hurt much to put another PS in it. I'd give up if that didn't work. Hey, if it works please come back and tell us, I can't believe you could get the front panel lights to come on with a bad PS...

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wouldn't mind knowing how to do it but how often do you need that sort of knowledge? Waste of space.

Rich

codespy likes this.
  14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    ...same clay as you...AFAIK if you are an EE you are in the only one in this thread!

Like codespy I own a multimeter (one of those cheap eBay digital ones for $8 or whatever, not a fancy Fluke) and know how to use it, but that's a far cry from being able to determine where the fault lies in a piece of modern electronic equipment. I could google for how to test/diagnose a capacitor, for instance, but if I determined it was bad what then? Even if I buy a like replacement, the odds that I'd successfully solder it in (I own a soldering iron but have only ever used it to tin stranded wire) would be pretty low.

Sure I could practice and learn to solder, but what's the point from the perspective someone willing to get their hands a bit dirty but not willing to bang their head against the wall unnecessarily? Modern electronic devices simply aren't designed for self-repair, and just because it might be possible doesn't mean it is reasonable. If its a cheap device it is not worth my time to do anything more than try swapping what can be swapped in a few minutes, if that doesn't work I'll get a new one. If it is a really expensive device, then I'd be better off hiring a professional than risk screwing it up myself.

codespy likes this.
  15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm have similar base of thoughts, but my free time and raising little bit challenge give me some advantage to get into that level where you feel your competence and desiring goal out of your scoop.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh?

Rich

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The Peter to English translator is broken.

Rich and carl6 like this.