HR20/5LNB major eqpt upgrade multiswitch question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by jclam, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jclam

jclam Cool Member

Jun 19, 2007
    I'm getting major equipment upgrade on Saturday: 3LNB dish to 5LNB dish; HR10-250 to HR-20, HR-15 no change; 3 very old Sony SD Rcvr's to 3 new HR-15's; 2 very old Sony SD Rcvr's to 2 very new SD Rcvr's.

Net: 5 DVR's (1 HD) and 2 SD receivers = 12 outputs from the multiswitch. The CSR says the installer will have multiple 6x8 multiswitches that can be daisy chained to meet my needs. I specifically asked for a 6x16, thinking this would provide a superior signal quality and leave me options for future growth.

Any thoughts on how to best meet my installation requirements?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBStalk

The WB616 you have to buy. The cheapest that I have found is solidsignal.com and newegg.com has it for $130.

You can use 2 WB68. But if you do you that would be better off running them in a parallel setup. Run the 4 lines from the dish to 4 dual power passing splitter that are 5 mhz to 2300 mhz. Then from each splitter run one line to each MS to the same input on both.

3. jclam

jclam Cool Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Just so I understand: 4 lines from the dish to 4 dual power passing splitters = 4 pairs (or 8 total) outputs. 1 output from each pair to 1 WB68 and the other output from the pair to the other WB68. That gives me 16 total outputs total to meet my need for 12 receiver inputs. Will the installer provide the splitters? If not, how much are they?

A quick google on dual power passing splitters indicated I may have problems down the road. Have you used this kind of setup successfully? I'm getting all of this equipment for free so the $130 for a 6x16 would not be that big a deal...plus I feel pretty confident I could get them to give me $10/mo credit for a year to offset the cost.

In other words, if you had your choice of 2 WB68's running in parrallel vs 1 WB616, which would you choose?

4. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    I would do the WB616 if you want to spend the $130. I didn't want to because I am going to get a SWM at some point.

I do have mine hooked up like I posted above. No problems at all. I got them off of ebay for cheap. I don't think Directv will supply them. But if you do go that way you need to make sure they are 5 mhz to 2300 mhz.

5. jclam

jclam Cool Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Not familiar with SWM--is that for single wire multiswitch? Not a newbie but definitely need to do some searching for info on that.

Thanks again.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    SWM is not available yet, sometime this fall I understand.

7. dkouz

dkouz AllStar

May 5, 2007
    I know that the local HSP here (Bluegrass) does provide all the stuff necessary, at no extra cost. You should expect the same, unless you get a shady installer.

8. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes SWM is the single wire multi-switch. Like the other poster said it will not be out until later this year. Directv has had a few test groups of members for this site to try it out and see how well it works.

9. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    They supply everything except the WB616 from what I understand. A few members have tried to get them. They were told they had to buy them but a few I believe got a credit on there account for them.

10. Scooter22

Scooter22 Legend

Jun 22, 2007
    I'm just now getting started into the HD game... I'm a long time D-TiVo user, currently running 6 receivers in the house, but I plan to start out by adding a new HR20 and HDTV. I figure first things first, and I need the right setup, so ,I want the right dish and multiswitch setup and I've been eyballing the VB616 for my setup but one thing (of many in my mind at this point) that I'm wondering about right now.. Is there any particular reason they don't have a OTA input on it? Also, if there is such a thing as a 7x16, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm used to using a pair of older Spaun 5x8s with the oval dish from a few years ago and I know very little about this new stuff. So, sorry if my question seems stupid.

Scooter

11. sagle

sagle Cool Member

Aug 23, 2006
    I am contemplating ordering the HR20, but really need SWM to simplify my wiring and to diplex OTA. I also really want Multi-Room Viewing. Any info or guesses on these features.

12. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    SWM some time later this year Q3/Q4. There has been no word if Directv will do MRV or not.

13. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes there is...

When the new sat's are launched and start to broadcast... they will be operating in the frequency range (on the cable), that the OTA diplexes too... thus it will clash and cause issues.

14. Scooter22

Scooter22 Legend

Jun 22, 2007
    Ah, that makes good sense. Thanks very much for your reply, Earl!

That settles my first little step in the HDTV purchasing process. Next up, to see if what kind of a deal DirecTv will give me on a HR20 or two and a new dish.

Fun fun. :)

Scooter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.