1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 blanking out picture

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by iamqnow, Sep 27, 2009.

1. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    Just recently, within 2 weeks, my DVR has been going to a blank screen in the middle of a recording playback. Does not happen all the time, but often enough. The audio does not drop out. If I pause then rewind, the picture comes right back. I did a reset and that didn't help. Have not called D* yet. They have been great with customer service, but I really don't want them to swap the receiver if I can work around this. I don't want to lose my recordings. Any suggestions? I have never lost picture when viewing in real time except weather related, and that's not the issue here. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    Wow, guess no one else has had this problem. Now it started happening with real-time viewing so I guess it's replacement time. The hard drive is chattering away instead of the normal noise so it must be failing.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    These sorts of problems are usually caused by connection or interface issues between the HD DVR and your HDTV, especially if you're using HDMI.

4. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    1. Try doing a red button reset of the receiver with the hdmi cable unplugged. Leave the cable unplugged for about 15 mins in order to let the receiver totally syc back up. at that point plug it back in.

2. Make sure "native" is set to off and a resolution the tv can handle is selected from the receiver's setup hdtv display options.

3. If the issue still continues, change to component video cables as this should stop the issue altogether; but will limit you to 1080i max resolution for on demand ppv purchases (1080P 24FPS may or may not be supported by your tv anyways).

5. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    Thanks for your reply. This unit is hooked to the tv via component. My receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs so right now everything is via component and optical for audio. As mentioned, the audio does not drop out. Dvd player is also component and there is no problem with playback. I did switch component cables but the issue is still there.

6. SeverianB

SeverianB New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    :nono:Check out this new thread:ttp://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=165820

Some of us with the latest update have noticed some serious issues. I have a feeling that thread is going to explode. It's absolutely killing my viewing experience, and it didn't start happening until the update.