1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR20-700 died - any way to run diagnostics?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gambitx, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambitx

gambitx New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Well, yesterday my HR20-700 died. That is, it just would not turn on anymore. The day before, it had started buzzing, which went away after I had powered down and then back on again.

So I did a red button reset and it started up again, but got stuck on the white screen step 1 of 2: getting satellite information. Subsequent resets and powering off/on always resulted in getting stuck on this screen. I also noticed that a couple of times after I had reset, it made this faint periodic beep as it was booting up, until it got to the white screen.

Directv support wasn't much help, and they will be sending me a replacement unit, although it's going to take 3 days. So I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem or knew of any diagnostics the unit could be booted into to help me identify whether this is as fatal a problem as it appears or somehow fixable?

My main concern really is to possibly recover some recordings I have on the hard drive before I exchange this for the replacement unit. Thanks.

2. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Recordings cannot be extracted. Did you try to download software to see if it would bring it up?

When the reciever first boots up with a message, enter 02468 on your remote. That would be the only possible solution besides simple resets.

3. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Have you tried reseating the access card ? Does sound like a failing hard drive though especially with those unwelcomed beeps

4. gambitx

gambitx New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Thanks, I'll see if the 02468 does anything.

5. gambitx

gambitx New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Well, I didn't do it intentionally, but while on the phone with the Directv support rep, I had to pull the access card out to read the number and then put it back in again. Subsequent resets after that hasn't worked either.

Unfortunately, I've been suspecting it's the hard drive as well as I never really hear it spin up when the unit boots. Although I'm not totally sure at what point in the process it does that.

6. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Try unplugging it for 15-30min. If it is not a hard drive issue, this should shake it loose.

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
    Aaaaaahhhhhhh...nooooooooo.......

Never, never, never pull the card out while the until is running.

You can get the DVR serial number and access card information from the menu, by pressing the menu button on the remote, then use the arrow keys to select (on the screen) <SETTINGS>, then <SETUP>, then <INFO and TEST>, and press the Enter button on the remote, then scroll down to the information.

Now that that damage has been done...

Unplugging the unit for 30+ minutes and then plugging the unit back in to reset it has been known to work to resolve this kind of issue. If not, you may be looking at needing to get a replacement.

8. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    I really wish DVR makers would put some sort of HDD test in their boxes. Seems like it would help both users and providers(D* in this case) when it comes time for replacing the boxes. Plus, most HDD's now have S.M.A.R.T. built in and if used would warn us before the HDD crashed for good. That way we can watch everythng real quick...lol.

9. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    DIRECTV does test the HDD in the HR2x family, but the results are mostly very hidden. It works or it doesn't. Or it reformats the drive and tries again.

Since the bulk of the viewing public doesn't get into the internals, not a problem.

Cheers,
    Tom

10. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Its not about having the user replace the drive. Its about a user calling D* and saying my box is messing up. Then a representative can easily say ok, go into this menu and lets run a test real quick. After the test concludes, a display can easliy tell D* and the user the HDD is bad, going bad, or good.

I don't claim to have the numbers, but I bet a lot of boxes are sent back with nothing wrong. I know they refurb them, but that still cost money in shipping and refurbing.

11. gambitx

gambitx New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    If the unit ever booted to a point where I could do anything such as access the Menu settings, etc. I would actually be very happy. The unit gets stuck on the white Directv startup screen and you basically can't do anything at all.

I'm not sure if there was any additional "damage" done by me pulling the card out while it was stuck on that screen. Anyway, the Directv support rep specifically asked me to pull it out and I did ask whether it was ok to do it given where it was stuck at and she said OK. Not to say she knows better, but if it did any more damage, it would have been on her request. And she was already making plans on sending me a replacement...

12. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Make sure you give it at least 30 minutes or longer of "down time".

The CSR should have asked the magic question - Is this thing on? :rolleyes:

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Since I've pulled the card before without any issues, I'm not sure why you are so adamant not to? :confused:

14. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Not while its turned on..... :eek2:

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Removing the access card with the unit on is no biggie. Matter of fact, it is a troubleshooting step in some card reader error cases.

16. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    It won't blow up or anything, but certainly a near-guarantee for lockups.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    funny, I just get the error message.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Which one ?

As to jacking smart card it will do no harm; the card built on that technology when re-inserts may occur MANY times by different reasons - that's why gold contacts, internal circuitry, serial interface, etc. Mr. fanatic is over precocious here. :D

19. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    If you have a network connection, try pulling the Ethernet plug.

Worked for me.

Bill

20. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    In fact, cable companies do a similar thing when diagnosing certain problems with their boxes, although they can directly access your box via the network, ping it, reset it, run certain routines, etc. I suppose when hooked to a phone line, (or ethernet for that matter), D* should be able to do the same thing (as long as we're not worried about "Big Brother" here!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.